VOGONS

VFX1 emulation

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 20 of 24, by icemann

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Shame the VR age died out back in the 90s. I was SO SURE it was the way of the future at the time. If VR had stuck around, we`d have some really good games by now.

Though I remember playing Doom and Mechwarrior 2 in VR many years ago, and it just didn`t feel right + the response time wasn`t as good as the mouse + keyboard combo.

Two stones, two crosses, the rest is just icing. - 7th Guest

Reply 21 of 24, by CarlKenner

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is your response time in real life as good as using mouse and keyboard? If not then I suggest that using mouse and keyboard is cheating. You shouldn't be able to turn and aim faster than you can turn and aim in real life. Adding realism to a game usually means making it more difficult.

Or maybe the problem was lag with the headtracker and not realism.
Anyway, I'm going to have fun trying some of these things out for the first time, because I could only dream of having a VFX1 back in the DOS days.

I've made some more progress with the VFX1 emulation, it now can pass the setvfx1 program's port detection code, but it can't pass the IRQ detection. I don't know if I should bother emulating the IRQ or if it just wastes a precious IRQ doing that.

Reply 22 of 24, by islander_man

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I actually have one of these units, basically brand new in the box with all software manuals hardware etc. Any idea what these things are worth anymore?
I have the vfx1. I had always planned to build this conversion box from the plans but I just don't have enough free time. I'd be interested in trading this unit perhaps or selling it. I've seen on listed again and again on ebay for $475 that never sells. I would sell mine for less than this amount.

So has anyone made a conversion box and have recommendations? As I might make time to do this conversion.

Reply 23 of 24, by cyberluke

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
CarlKenner wrote on 2008-01-28, 06:16:
Is your response time in real life as good as using mouse and keyboard? If not then I suggest that using mouse and keyboard is c […]
Show full quote

Is your response time in real life as good as using mouse and keyboard? If not then I suggest that using mouse and keyboard is cheating. You shouldn't be able to turn and aim faster than you can turn and aim in real life. Adding realism to a game usually means making it more difficult.

Anyway, I'm going to have fun trying some of these things out for the first time, because I could only dream of having a VFX1 back in the DOS days.

I've made some more progress with the VFX1 emulation, it now can pass the setvfx1 program's port detection code, but it can't pass the IRQ detection. I don't know if I should bother emulating the IRQ or if it just wastes a precious IRQ doing that.

Hi, how is it going? This is your github: https://github.com/CarlKenner ? You never shared any stuff...

Reply 24 of 24, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
cyberluke wrote on 2022-08-15, 00:21:
CarlKenner wrote on 2008-01-28, 06:16:
Is your response time in real life as good as using mouse and keyboard? If not then I suggest that using mouse and keyboard is c […]
Show full quote

Hi, how is it going? This is your github: https://github.com/CarlKenner ? You never shared any stuff...

Please do not necrobump 14 years old threads!

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper