VOGONS

First post, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The OPL Passthrough patch serves a very useful purpose. DOSBox's emulation of the Yamaha OPL series is very good but not perfect. The produced sound is also very much idealized, lacking the noise and warmth of the original chip as output through a Sound Blaster's mixer and amplifier.

Thus we have the OPL Passthrough patch, which passes port writes to I/O registers 2x0-2x3, 2x8/9 and 388-391 to the real hardware connected to an ISA bus. These registers correspond to the location of the CMS-301/SAA-1099, FM-1312/YM-3812 OPL2 or YMF-262 OPL3. Well this is all fine for a Sound Blaster 1.0, 1.5 or 2.0, it is insufficient for a Sound Blaster Pro or more advanced cards. These cards passed the analog OPL3 output through the CT-1345 or CT-1745 mixer chip. These mixer chips could filter each output (CD, PC Speaker, Voice and FM) and control the volume of each source. I believe it would be best if all sound would come out of one device, rather than have the card output only bare FM while the emulator handled the digitzed sound and CD sound.

Reply 1 of 11, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I can probably test this on my AWE64. Probably would be too tough to try and record as it's not full duplex, and DOSBox probably won't even try any form of FM playback without a wave buffer (even if native FM). Until then I won't be able to compare.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 11, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Can you write kernel drivers that handle IRQ and DMA? 😀
And DOSBox has its own time scheme and thus I ecpect problems with timing below the milliseconds range.

1+1=10

Reply 3 of 11, by butterfly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm a bit confused about this post...
Doesn't DOSBox already let us chose which audio device to use for the MIDI output?

Yamaha XG WDM Soft Synthesizer audio redirect

Reply 5 of 11, by butterfly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's why I'm confused: I don't want to interfere with the topic but the final output for me changes depending on what MIDI periferal I chose, using the standard Windows DOSBox built (0.72 currently)

Reply 8 of 11, by butterfly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, it sounds different for me, in two cases

1) In Windows, if I change the MIDI output device (to YAMAHA XG WDM SoftSynthesizer).

2) If in the DOSBox config file I change the
[midi]
config=

Just as explained in the other topic I mentioned.
But I might be an isolated case since the other MIDI device is emulated (externally to DOSBox)

Reply 9 of 11, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I do not think it would be substantially more difficult to pass the mixer commands through, but leave the digitized sound generation, which requires the IRQ and DMAs, to DOSBox for now.

Reply 10 of 11, by Zorbid

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Butterfly: OPL refers to Adlib/Sound Blaster music and sound effects, not to midi music. You can select this from the setup of the games, not from the config file or windows config pannel. You can select what OPL chip DOSBox emulates from the config file though.