VOGONS

First post, by ih8registrations

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been tinkering with cs4231 emulation again, have the gusmax, wss(& toptek golden 16 & newmedia wavejammer & .. that use cs4231/alike dacs at a standard wss base address) and soundscape interfaces now working. Researching soundscape, realised mame emulates its synth, the es5506, aka OTTO. Original soundscape being OTTO + DAC + m68k + ODIE "gate array" which I figure is the misattributed "sequoia" chip(sequoia dev grp is a copyright notice for sequoia development group, a company that did patch sets for several sound cards.) ODIE is partially described in the official, though cutdown, soundscape sdk(which everyone from linux, bsd, allegro, to dos games which opened their source code has shown, pretty much copied verbatum) and wiki describes as handling MIDI "duties," leaving dumping the ROM patch set as the last piece needed to make full soundscape emulation possible. Trivia; Gravis licensed the OTTO for the ultrasound, which means the GF1 is an OTTO or a derivative. As well, qemu emulates an es1370(ugly hard to read code) which is essentially a soundscape elite with OTTO, 68k, & ESP done in software, but poorer quality patch set than the elite. Like SBOS, its dos driver uses NMI though, which, like dosbox, qemu doesn't currently handle. More trivia that most around here probably already know is most of the creative pci sound cards use es1370's dos driver for legacy support, having bought ensoniq. Anyhow, I thought this was intriging info to share:)

Reply 1 of 4, by ih8registrations

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ooooh, patent gold:)
http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:eibj17o1 … lnk&cd=24&gl=us

I believe I got it right on gate array. According to their HW_Config struct, baseport(default 330) is the address of the gate array.