VOGONS

First post, by Suppawer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Will be able the Dosbox to evolve like something a "VirtualMsDoss6.22"?
Forget the Dosbox commands. I mean, Install Msdos 6.22 whith 100% compatibility... Is the future?

Reply 2 of 12, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So....you want to have to deal with memory management and autoexec.bat/config.sys instead of just editing the conf or using a front end? Forgive me but I fail to see the point....

Reply 4 of 12, by kruwi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think it's actually better than dos 6.22 because of the autoexec.bat/config.sys stuff. So much more convenient.

Visit the end of the internet: www.groskreutz.de

Reply 5 of 12, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kruwi wrote:

I think it's actually better than dos 6.22 because of the autoexec.bat/config.sys stuff. So much more convenient.

Same here, but some people still claim dosbox is more difficulty than the old days. Yeah - maybe if you owned only a few games that all worked without issues. Some of us owned such classics like Ultima VII, which required an anal probe to get running without a fuss.

Being able to switch features on and off with a minor command is excellent.

Reply 6 of 12, by gidierre

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Suppawer wrote:

I mean, Install Msdos 6.22 whith 100% compatibility... Is the future?

be it the future... or the past

you can always use VirtualPC/VMWare to install MsDos 6.22 plus dosshell, plus the so called dos additions for mouse, cdrom access etc.

but probably you knew it already 😀

Reply 8 of 12, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kruwi wrote:

Same here, but some people still claim dosbox is more difficulty than the old days. Yeah - maybe if you owned only a few games that all worked without issues. Some of us owned such classics like Ultima VII, which required an anal probe to get running without a fuss.

Being able to switch features on and off with a minor command is excellent.

I can get more games running on DOSBox than I could on any one real DOS machine. DOSBox is like having several different PCs.

Reply 9 of 12, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Some of us owned such classics like Ultima VII, which required an anal probe to get running without a fuss.

Interesting way to phrase it, but definitely not incorrect. Must remember that 😀

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 10 of 12, by CarlKenner

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had to make my own program that would swap a set of autoexec.bat and config files and then reboot the computer. So that when I needed to boot to get a particular game working, I could type something like "reboot u7". Of course I still needed to creeate the special autoexec.bat and config.sys before that would work, which was still a nightmare.

Reply 11 of 12, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

yeah, I had something like that as well. A simple batch file that would use bat and sys files from a dir, so boot u7 would copy u7.bat/u7.sys to autoexec.bat and config.sys...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper