VOGONS

First post, by Hitnrun

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello!

I am helping on the port of dosbox to GP2X, but my GP2X does not have a networking chip, so it is very hard to debug on it.

I would like to display some on-screen messages, like FPS, or some debugging text, is there any facility in dosbox to do this? I didn't found any looking in the source...

Thanks!

Reply 3 of 9, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Can't think of anything that might suit your needs, the gui code might somewhen
be usable for that but that's not for the foreseeable future.
What exactly do you need? You might even get along with some regular
bios-output to the screen if you are testing some networking, but that's
definitely no general approach.

Reply 4 of 9, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

well you can probably save the messages to a file.
LOG_MSG and LOG both in the end up in the same function which does a simple printf.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 5 of 9, by Hitnrun

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes I am using LOG_MSG, but each time I need to see the log, I need to power the device off, remove the sd card and put on the computer, and then open the log file.

I am debugging the touchscreen (mouse) code on the gp2x dosbox, but in some games the cursor is off position, if I could click and display a message right on the screen of some debugging text, it would make my life a lot easier.

But if there is no such facility in dosbox, well, I will need to live without it!

I think the bios path would not work for me, as I need it mostly in graphic mode...

Reply 6 of 9, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Why not mount the folder where the stdout.txt and stderr.txt files resides as a drive in DOSBox and TYPE them?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 7 of 9, by Hitnrun

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MiniMax wrote:

Why not mount the folder where the stdout.txt and stderr.txt files resides as a drive in DOSBox and TYPE them?

Because the latest GP2X, the F200 (mine) doesn't include networking over usb anymore... they removed the net chip on this version, so if a had a cradle I could access via serial, but I don't have it...

So, to find the answer to my question: dosbox does not have any function like

DisplayMessage(char *msg);

which would display a text on the current graphic mode, over the current image?

Reply 8 of 9, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

If it only happens with some games (which??) try to extract what graphics
mode they use, how they set up the mouse etc (this can all be done on
a pc so should not be too hard). Then write some short dos app that sets
up the graphics mode+mouse in the same way, and you can use some
bios functionality to display mouse position data.

Reply 9 of 9, by Hakkk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Hitnrun wrote:
Because the latest GP2X, the F200 (mine) doesn't include networking over usb anymore... they removed the net chip on this versio […]
Show full quote
MiniMax wrote:

Because the latest GP2X, the F200 (mine) doesn't include networking over usb anymore... they removed the net chip on this version, so if a had a cradle I could access via serial, but I don't have it...

So, to find the answer to my question: dosbox does not have any function like

DisplayMessage(char *msg);

which would display a text on the current graphic mode, over the current image?

I think Hitnrun means to mount the folder in DOSBox and 'type stdxxx.txt' in the virtual DOS, not mount to your PC through network...