VOGONS

is there a virtual SLIP wrapper for DOSBOX?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Mike Chambers

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i've been unsuccessfully browing the web for one. if there isn't one it may come down to me writing one. what i'd basically like to do is be able to use the ETHERSL.COM packet driver from crynwr.com and have a serial port set up in DOSBOX to accept a TCP/IP connection as a null modem line.

the wrapper software would talk to the ETHERSL driver in DOSBOX and encode/decode the SLIP data transparently so that in essense, DOSBOX would be TCP/IP enabled with, say TCPDRV/NTCPDRV or even use programs like arachne in it. pretty much any DOS networking software could work in it.

let me know if something like this exists. unfortunately, my windows programming skills are more or less limited to the ancient visual basic 6. vb is more than enough to do something like this, but ugh... still. it's vb.

if i do have to write it, i will share it with others who would like to use it. maybe this is something the DOSBOX development team could work on implementing. it REALLY would be a very simple thing to implement. just make a new "mode" you can specify for a serial port in the conf file like "slip" instead of "nullmodem"

it doesn't really have to do much processing at it. very little more than pulling the data out of the SLIP and IP headers and throwing it out over real TCP/IP connections would be necessary.

http://www.rubbermallet.org

Reply 3 of 3, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions