VOGONS

First post, by Elamaton

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, the original thread was locked by wd, and the locking has been discussed privately. For the record (stated here because I can't comment on the locking in the locked thread), I don't agree with the reasoning, since the post he quoted also explicitly ended the line of discussion he wasn't comfortable with, and this post (the last one of mine) put the thread well back on track, but the decision has been made. This is where we are now.

Still, I have wd's approval for starting a new thread on the topic, and here it is. We'll keep it civil. I'll refrain from off-topic digressions and hope others will, too. Hopefully the discussion will now properly concentrate on the proposed Normal4x functionality - provided, of course, that the topic still has some steam left.

So, I'll pick up where I left off, replying to gulikoza, and I'll replicate the relevant part of the aforementioned last post here to start off. For the original patch, more context and history, refer to the other thread if necessary.

- - - - - - - - - -

integral scaling(...)This gives the sharpest pixels possible (since 4x is used in the horizontal direction and 5x vertical), slight letterboxing and fairly close to real 4:3 AR and no bilinear scaling step.

OK, I'll have to try that with various different LCD's (1280x1024, 1680x1050 with fullresolution=1400x1050, 1900x1200 with fullresolution=1600x1200 - otherwise aspect=false would, if I understood correctly, stretch the image to 16:10 on a widescreen LCD?).

Still, I am of the opinion that 4x (and in the future, 5x, 6x etc.) is beneficial. MAME is the shining example when it comes to scaling compared to any emulator out there, and it accepts -prescale up to 8(!). Like with Normal scalers, there is the bilinear scaling step, but as long as the Nearest Neighbor scaling ends up as near as possible to the target resolution (i.e. the less "distance" the bilinear step has to cover, the better), the slight softening of the image caused by the bilinear step is actually beneficial, depending on taste. To me, that is exactly the case; it makes the image a bit more CRT-like and authentic, and I prefer it over all the other methods. And the resulting AR is precisely 4:3, not merely near it. Large enough NN scaling is extremely important here, or the softening will be too severe.

I'm planning on building a retro PC at some point with a pivoting 24" LCD, and I know that prescale factors well beyond 3 will come into use when running MAME. Bomb Jack, a vertical game, is 224 x 256. Given that a vertically pivoted display is 1200x1900, I can afford to use -prescale 5, making the pre-bilinear resolution 1120x1280. You can imagine how much better the image will look than if I only had 3x scaling (672x768) available 😀. I'm a bit scared at how DOSBox and WinUAE will look, although I've read that the upcoming (now beta) 1.50 version of WinUAE has major improvements scaling-wise.

The DOSBox devs may not see a personal need for more than 3x, especially if you're still running CRTs. But please acknowledge that for a portion of your user base, such a thing is significant. That's all. Thank you.

Reply 1 of 5, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Elamaton wrote:

OK, I'll have to try that with various different LCD's (1280x1024, 1680x1050 with fullresolution=1400x1050, 1900x1200 with fullresolution=1600x1200 - otherwise aspect=false would, if I understood correctly, stretch the image to 16:10 on a widescreen LCD?).

Actually no, you should use your native LCD res. As I've said, D3D is different in some respects, it will only stretch the image when fullresolution=original. Fullresolution is the target display mode (best to use native LCD resolution here) and D3D will resize the displayed image to be as close to 4:3 as possible (with aspect=true, this means exactly 4:3) in fullscreen. This is also different from window modes, where D3D behaves like all the other output modes. With fullresolution=1920x1200 and aspect=false, D3D will switch to 1920x1200 and pillarbox the image to 1600x1200 (a 320x200 game). Perfect AR and no blurring 😀 (actually this is a bad example since both aspect=true and false show the same in this case...but for instance fullresolution=1680x1050 will blackbox to 1280x1000 with aspect=false and 1400x1050 with aspect=true)

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza

Reply 3 of 5, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah. Elamaton, I'm sorry i have to say that, but you've been behaving like a d*ck. You come storming in here, demanding the implementation of features into DOSBox like you're a paying customer, and generally loudmouthing about topics you do not have an idea of (see the "close to 100% illegal" comment in another thread). If you really want to have your scalers implemented, stop babbling, learn proper coding, implement your code, and submit it to CVS for inclusion into the official DOSBox source. Or do you think you can talk anyone into implementing the scalers for you?

Oh, and btw: if you weren't such an arrogant person, and so much in love with your own voice (or words, in this case), and would actually listen to what people have to say (or read ... write in this case), you'd have noticed that, a few posts ago, in the other thread, i've mentioned that here seems to be a 4x scaler implemented in Gulizoka's build (AFAIK), as a selectable shader.

Reply 4 of 5, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Speaking of big mouths ADDiCT.... Sometimes ignoring threads and keeping it shut, is also a way to comment.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 5 of 5, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh, i'm glad to hear a thoughtful comment from a quiet person like you are, Minimax (; . Actually, i started to type a comment in the other thread three or four times, and then decided to "shut it", as you put it. But i'm not the Dalai Lama - i'll call bullshit if i see it.