VOGONS

Sound Bug

Topic actions

First post, by DOS_Boy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello. I'm no programmer at all, however, as a huge Dosbox lover and user, I'd like to give my contribution to the project. I just happened to find this small bug regarding sound, midi to be more specific. I have Windows 3.11 for Workgroups installed here, and once I start it up and open any midi files on it, sound on Wolf3d fails. There´s no music at all, and no sounds of collecting thins, just the shoot and the soldiers scream when they see me and get shot. I've tested some other games like Doom and didn't encounter this problem, only in Wolf3d so far. Any ideas of what could this be?

"But listen to me brother, you just keep on walking, 'cause you and me and sister ain't got nothing to hide..." - Scatman John

Reply 1 of 7, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Which OS?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 7, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are you running Wolf3D inside WfW inside DOSBox? Or are you running WfW inside DOSBox, exiting it and then running Wolf3D without restarting DOSBox?

This sounds a bit more like the Windows FM sound driver not leaving the (emulated) FM synthesizer in a useable state or simply not releasing the device. Try this on a real PC instead, or maybe in another emulator, as I have the feeling it's not actually a bug in DOSBox.

My site: Ramblings on mostly tech stuff.

Reply 3 of 7, by DOS_Boy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It happens on both Windows XP and Vista. I'm not running Wolf3d inside WfW. I start WfW up, play a midi file, exit windows and then I run Wolf3d. This is sort of you mentioned, Kippesoep, seems like WfW is not releasing the midi device.

PS: I tried this same thing on my Pentium 100 (MS DOS 6.22 and Widows 3.11 FW) and it does NOT happen.

"But listen to me brother, you just keep on walking, 'cause you and me and sister ain't got nothing to hide..." - Scatman John

Reply 6 of 7, by DOS_Boy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Any specific reason not to? Like I said, I am not a programmer at all, I'm an user only.