VOGONS

First post, by peterferrie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This causes problems for demos that use STMIK (like SX by Substance, and Min Monitor Briner by Syntax Error) because the card never seems to finish the reset.

In case anyone is wondering, I'm going through every demo that I've never seen. I'm up to 1995/s. Long way to go. :-)

Reply 3 of 23, by peterferrie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

yes, but that 0x7f value will be returned naturally if the sb.dst.out.used index is zero.
I made a patch for the SX demo specifically, which pretends that it happened like that. I haven't looked yet at patching DOSBox.

Reply 4 of 23, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

yes, but that 0x7f value will be returned naturally if the sb.dst.out.used index is zero.

Well the reset performs the transition from 1 to 0, and the 0-reset adds
the 0xaa to the buffer so it fills again the buffer.

Reply 7 of 23, by peterferrie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

the kit resets the card, then it reads (DSP_READ_STATUS) until either bit 7 is cleared or the loop expires. Bad things happen if the loop expires. However, if bit 7 is cleared, then it reads (DSP_READ_DATA) and expects to see 0aah.
I would expect that a reset would empty the buffer, and that nothing would break if that happened, but there is a lot of bad software out there...

Reply 8 of 23, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I would expect that a reset would empty the buffer

No it doesn't, it responds with the ack.
The usual sb detection procedure (as described in pcgpe) is to have a 1-0
transition of the resets, then wait until data is available (bit7 set) and then
check if the returned data is the ack.

Reply 9 of 23, by peterferrie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

then perhaps Sami got it backwards, because STMIK waits until bit 7 is clear, then checks if the returned data is the ack. The only way to achieve that in DOSBox right now would be to empty the buffer by calling DSP_ReadData().

Reply 10 of 23, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The only way to achieve that in DOSBox right now would be to empty the buffer by calling DSP_ReadData().

When would you do that to pertain compatibility with "correct" detection methods?

Reply 11 of 23, by peterferrie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd have to see someone doing that first. Other methods that I have seen did not rely on bit 7 being set at all, they just reset and read and check for 0xaa.
If you have an example, then I can think about it.

Reply 12 of 23, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

http://www.bluemg.de/prg/pcgpe/sound/soundblaster/sbdsp.html
This is the standard procedure and definitely works.

they just reset and read and check for 0xaa.

But that would mean that the 0xaa is already available even though that
byte has not yet been enqueued. Maybe the 1-part of the reset procedure
triggers something like that.

Reply 13 of 23, by peterferrie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

okay, but there is no mention of what happens during the delay. What happens if you keep waiting? Or don't wait long enough? Perhaps it's just a pulse? STMIK reads the port up to 1000 times waiting for the bit to clear. Since that code did work on real hardware, it makes me think that the bit goes from set to clear to set again, and it's during the clear moment that STMIK decides that everything is okay.
Too many questions, and no real hardware here to find out.

Reply 14 of 23, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

My observations on this:

Aztech Soundblaster Pro clone:

mental.exe works with this card.

When the RESET bit is set, the 'data availible for read' flag is immediately cleared, the data itself stays the same as it was set to by the previous command. 100 microseconds later the 'data availible for read' flag is set and 0xAA can be read. This conforms to the soundblaster documentation.

At this point it makes no difference if the RESET bit is cleared or not.

Other clones: (82c929, CS4236)

mental.exe does not work.

When the RESET bit is set, the 'data availible for read' flag is immediately cleared, the data itself stays the same. Nothing else happens as long as the RESET bit is set.

Now, when we clear the RESET bit the 'data availible for read' flag is set immediately and 0xAA can be read from the data register.

It would be nice to know how original soundblasters (all mayor types) behave, if somebody who owns such volunteers I could make the test program availible.

1+1=10

Reply 15 of 23, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

the data itself stays the same as it was set to by the previous command

Their detection only works because some previous command finished with ack then...

Thanks for the information 😀

Reply 18 of 23, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Ah, so they actually need the second little secret I thought was not important.

This is what they do in DOSBox:

SB write reg 226 val 1
SB write reg 226 val 0
SB read port 22e val ff
SB read port 22e val ff
SB read port 22e val ff
SB read port 22e val ff

You say they are waiting for 0xAA here?

From 0x22e you usually check only bit7 which indicates that something can be read from port 0x22a and then do so.

This other little secret is that reading from 0x22e returns the content of 0x22a with bit7 replaced with the 'data availible' flag.

0xAA | 0x80 = 0xAA.

1+1=10

Reply 19 of 23, by peterferrie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

it reads 0x22e until the value is 0x7f (ie no data available), then it reads from 0x22a to check for the 0xaa. So real hardware does pulse the bit. DOSBox would need a timer of some kind to emulate that properly. It's probably easier to just patch the individual apps instead.