VOGONS

First post, by deeped

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I came here with my new idea, theories. What would be if you developers make a 2nd OPL recording format file? The new one should contain the timer what the games overriedes. Why?

The actual format works on milisecs. I dont think its accurate on slower comps. I meant, it record the time beetwen I\O events with millisec but some lags, etcs may causes wrong values.

A game can change its timer many times.

Of course a timer can have 1 milisec "rithm" but it mightbe too much for some computers

So, to summarize: this would be absolutly accurate and would take less space. Good idea? 😀 about compatbility: if I were you, I would add a new flag to the config file like "Dro file type=", and its 0 by default, 1 the new one.

Is it good idea? 😀 lets discuss lets discuss

Reply 1 of 5, by Harekiet

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Funny you should bring this up since i'm rewriting the dro stuff a bit, although i'm sticking to the msec values. Should produce smaller files for opl3 data especially since there's no index switching anymore.
If you can hear sub millisecond differences then kuddo's to you. These are dosbox's internal milliseconds on which the whole timing is based not the operating system milliseconds, so it should be pretty accurate.

Reply 3 of 5, by Harekiet

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Well don't really see the need for logging the timer, say the game doesn't even modify the pit timer so that's still at 18.2hz, but it uses the vga retrace timer for adlib timing. Then you'd basically log big chunks of data on 18.2 intervals and the timing would be screwed. And i don't really think your avarage old computer has any trouble writing out a little bit of adlib data and then waiting for when to write the next when all it's doing is playing the dro file.

Reply 5 of 5, by Harekiet

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

"raw" doesn't support opl3 or dual opl2 and the timing scheme it uses is basically what deeped said with using the pit timer, which isn't exactly perfect and kinda annoying when you can just use milliseconds.