VOGONS

First post, by stalepie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I have an IBM Thinkpad X31 and when I switch to full screen mode in DOSBox, cmd.exe, and other programs -- such as game emulators -- everything looks kind of blurry. I find this strange because if I take a screenshot using printscreen and paste it into an image editor, and then blow up that image, I can see the pixels crystal clear. The same when zooming in and out in Adobe Acrobat. So is this a problem with GDI, DirectDraw or OpenGL? Probably not. Probably it's just the way ATi's Mobility Radeon is set up, especially for this Thinkpad.

I'm using DOSBox for QuickBASIC-- it works well -- but I keep it windowed so that the text is sharp.

I think what it is is that the ATi card / slash IBM hardware only likes the resolution 1024x768. It's only other option (in Display Properties in Windows XP) is 800x600, but that makes it blurry, just like it does for lower resolution legacy programs.

And I remember being annoyed with a GeForce card last year for another PC -- it couldn't display 320x400 resolution without making it all blurry! I was trying to play ChocolateDOOM at normal settings and it was blurry but then I set it to 640x480 and it was fine.

So I thought changing the DOSBox config file to fullresolution=1024x768 would be a good idea, but all that did was make it look like windowed mode with black space all around.

Graphics card manufacturers are probably dropping support for these old resolutions since they aren't used anymore.

Reply 1 of 6, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Try different output methods too. Since you are on Windows, you could try ddraw first.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 6, by stalepie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I did. I don't see any differences. It is probably just that this machine only supports 1024x768.

Programming the emulator to display in such high resolutions would be too CPU-intensive.

Last edited by stalepie on 2008-08-02, 18:44. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 6, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Check your BIOS settings. There might be a stretch/scale thing that you have to disable.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions