VOGONS

First post, by chuck barlow

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am running DOSBox version 0.72, in Windows version 5.1 service pack 2, in Windows XP Professional version 2002 service pack 2. I have a Pentium(R) 4 CPU processor at 3.4 GHz with 992 MB of RAM.

I am trying to run an old (1993) full-screen DOS application called CARPET in DOSBox. The application graphics include lots of input menus and output graphs of RADAR performance. I used to be able to do Print Screens in Windows NT and paste into PowerPoint for my presentations. I turned to DOSBox when I found out that Windows XP does not support Print Screen (or Alt-Print Screen) when in a full-screen DOS environment.

I have read the README file for DOSBox.

My problem: DOSBox allows me to do Print Screen and paste into PowerPoint just as I had hoped. However, the output graphs do not show all of the data that should be displayed. E.g., when I run without DOSBox, I get results out to 60 km in range, but when I run with DOSBox and the identical inputs, the results only go out to 10 km. Somehow, DOSBox is interfering with the longer range calculations in the DOS application and/or the longer range portion of the graphs.

I have tried cycles=max and full screen in the config file to no avail (after unloading the application and DOSBox in between config file changes).

Any ideas?

Reply 2 of 10, by chuck barlow

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for your quick reply.

Sorry for not being more clear. It IS the same image as what I am seeing. The problem is that the old DOS application produces an incomplete image when operating within DOSBox, but produces the complete and correct image when not using DOSBox. I know this might sound impossible, but DOSBox causes the CARPET model to display different results than the results obtained when not using DOSBox.

Reply 3 of 10, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Maybe DOSBox is calculating the results incorrectly? It is after all emulating the CPU. Tried different core-settings?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 4 of 10, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

but DOSBox causes the CARPET model to display different results than the results obtained when not using DOSBox

Are you talking about what is displayed on the screen? Can you post a screenshot
of dosbox running in windowed mode?

Reply 5 of 10, by chuck barlow

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, the display on the screen in the full-screen DOS mode has more info (plots and labels beyond 10 km) than the display on the screen inside the DOSBox window in the windowed mode. I will attach a file of the DOSBOX screenshot in a couple of seconds.

Reply 7 of 10, by TeaRex

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Could this have to do with floating-point precision? IIRC, not all cores in DOSBox support the full 80-bit precision of real Intel x87 coprocessors. Some do all FP calculations in 64 bit.

tearex

Reply 9 of 10, by chuck barlow

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It now works! (i.e. with core=dynamic) Thanks wd and minimax! It works with either cycles=max or cycles=auto. Since the readme file recommends cycles=max, I'll leave it there. Attached is a .ppt file with slide 2 showing the new results (slide 1 is the old/bad results, and pay no attention to slide 3).

Attachments

• Filename
    testing dosbox.ppt
    File size
    145.5 KiB
    Downloads
    332 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 10 of 10, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

In the next dosbox version it might work with core=normal as well, so the
default configuration should work out of the box. Be sure to try that then
and maybe report back if it works or not.
(the reason why core=normal currently does not work is quite likely what
TeaRex said)