VOGONS

First post, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Anyone know how to contact mozvipercipher? I heard he was working on the idea of coding GUS emulation into DosBox and would very much like to see that happen.

I don't have his email, only this link from the older forums.

I'm not a coder, but I do have a GUS PnP card, so I could make comparisons.

BTW: First poster in both of the new DosBox forums! Woohoo x2!

Reply 1 of 11, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

hmm i should have his email somewhere I believe. He coded the TABcompletion support in DOSBox and the history options (press up and down)

I'm still gratefull for that.

Futher I think Zorbid "knows" him as well.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 3 of 11, by mozvipercipher

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I'm back to work now, I will have to find some time to work on the gus emulator a bit. Right now it's in a state where most programs detect a Gus with 1024Kb and all memory operations are implemented. But there is still no sound. I hope to improve this by this weekend. I will keep you informed.

Reply 8 of 11, by mozvipercipher

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I had an answer from the gusemu developper today. He seems ok to send me the source code of gusemu which is written in nasm. I'm sure it will help me a lot and speed up the developpement of the gus support in dosbox.
I need a more complete DMA support in dosbox for the gus to work properly. Is there any known problem in this code (appart that 16 bits transfer are not supported) ? I get strange (non reproductible) results with the current code .. I started to rewrite dma.cpp using the bochs dma code and it seems to work better for me, but I have not tested it much.

Reply 10 of 11, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by mozvipercipher Right now it's in a state where most programs detect a Gus with 1024Kb and all memory operations are implemented. But there is still no sound. I hope to improve this by this weekend. I will keep you informed.

Good to hear from you. I meant to email you, but I got a little busy...fighting worms on XP machines, strange crashes, spyware attacks, catastrophic failure while resizing a partition (on my sister's business computer...without a backup), dropping a hard drive onto concrete (with critical files on it), bungling an important job interview, breaking a tooth...oh yeah. I'm on a roll...

Originally posted by robotriot no, i've never tried it with games. why doesn't it work with games then?

*heh* Flashback:
showthread.php?threadid=187&highlight=GUSemu
showthread.php?threadid=255&highlight=GUSemu
showthread.php?threadid=1583&highlight=GUSemu

Originally posted by mozvipercipher I had an answer from the gusemu developper today. He seems ok to send me the source code of gusemu which is written in nasm. I'm sure it will help me a lot and speed up the developpement of the gus support in dosbox.

Well that's very good news. Much better than before, certainly.

Reply 11 of 11, by mrsbrisby

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm interested in GUS/Interwave support myself- the one standoff program that I still need supports it, and the SB/emulation code just isn't fast enough (and I don't know that it ever will be).

The mixer seems _mostly_ adequate, but it'd be nice to support other hardware mixers if some functions were added to it; namely code to have sub-mixers (channels) and linear frequency shift code (speed up/slow down input based on a particular rate- against the desired output rate).

Also, because mixing is so time-sensitive, is there any real reason the audio output couldn't be moved onto a separate thread (or a separate process- via fork)? SMP machines might be able to benefit from this...