VOGONS

dosbox for s60 (symbian) first results

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 43 of 197, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
kolijoco wrote:

noted... will see what i can do

also, i finally got x-com to run/(work?), so i'm moving to the trimming phase...

what was wrong ?

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 44 of 197, by kolijoco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

eh-hmm... appearently something got mixed up with the include hierarchy in the build tree (carbide.c++ does things a little differently in resolving include directories, it seems). i seperated all cores and their includes into their own dirs, and it started working (cause i only realized this once i shaped to code up so i could trace executions of the windows build, the emulator build, and the phone build side-by-side, see other thread... actually managed to build a deterministic version in the process.)

Reply 45 of 197, by kolijoco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i've built a slim version...

those with memory issues should give this a try...

see the readme.txt for the specifics.

dependencies not included, download them for the first release (post on one of the previous pages).

edit: go to sourforge project site to download ("unsupported" package)

https://sourceforge.net/projects/s60dosbox

Last edited by kolijoco on 2009-03-03, 16:03. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 46 of 197, by gregd72002

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wow!! Works on my E65 with only 15MB RAM free (currently as I've got other apps running)!!!
Was just wondering about T9 - is it possible to support it somehow?

Attachments

• Foto 30.jpg
    Filename
    Foto 30.jpg
    File size
    25.29 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Only 15 MB ram!!
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Foto 31.jpg
    Filename
    Foto 31.jpg
    File size
    34.22 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    and it runs :)
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 47 of 197, by kolijoco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

when i say t9, i just mean the 12 keys with numbers on them - not actually the method for inputting text... :-(
so there's no support for that yet, but i'm thinking about it. for now you can only type numbers (or whatever you map to them in the mapper.txt)

Reply 50 of 197, by Pickle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,46,2586

Theres a mappable key event that turns the VK graphic on and off. The VK is drawn over the dosbox screen.
The a highlight selection is moved by the DPAD and the key executed by one the buttons. I had to do some special handling with the SDL surfaces to eliminate flicker when the VK was on. Most everything is in sdlmain.cpp.

Reply 51 of 197, by gregd72002

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gregd72002 wrote:

Wow!! Works on my E65 with only 15MB RAM free (currently as I've got other apps running)!!!
Was just wondering about T9 - is it possible to support it somehow?

Alright, but I'm not able to run any program. I've tried:
Magic Candle II - the setup runs well however after running the game itself dosbox quits without any error
X-com - dosbox quits after showing "Sound initialized" or so...
Magic Candle I - my mobile makes 2 strange sounds (probably generated by the game) and dosbox quits. Nothing is displayed though....

... is it that to initiate 13h mode dosbox requires additional memory to allocate? How much?

Reply 52 of 197, by kolijoco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i'm signing off for a while (guessing about a month)

mainly because my real life requires some added attention...

but i'm also planning to improve my symbianish in the meantime, so i can "nativize" the port a little more.
while, as professional i know the effort will probably not be worth it in the long run, when everyone will have the 600MHz arm nokias with graphic accelerators, but for now it will be a good excersize (and fun) in optimized porting, and after all, i'm doing this for my own entertainment as much for the benefit of all mankind :-)

i'll post here again (or start a new thread with an equally suggestive topic) when i have something to release.

cheers!

Reply 54 of 197, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Good luck with your real life kolijoco 😀 Look forward to see the future S60 DOSBox from you, as a 600 MHz ARM11 will still benefit greatly from whatever optimizations you do!

Since it's still a relatively slow CPU compared to the PC desktops that run DOSBox.

Reply 55 of 197, by DarkElf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It was possible to establish on Е90 Norton Commander v5.0 as the file manager (sees system folders) and, the most impressing - has established in smartphone Windows 3.11!!! Friends in a shock... )))

Unique affliction - a picture not on all screen. Below there is an unengaged space. Because of it the map on internal screen E90 (800х352) is compressed ((readership suffers...

Reply 56 of 197, by jal

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DarkElf wrote:

It was possible to establish on Е90 Norton Commander v5.0 as the file manager (sees system folders) and, the most impressing - has established in smartphone Windows 3.11!!! Friends in a shock... )))

Unique affliction - a picture not on all screen. Below there is an unengaged space. Because of it the map on internal screen E90 (800х352) is compressed ((readership suffers...

I just have to ask: are you using Google Translate to turn your output into English? I can barely understand it...

JAL

Reply 57 of 197, by gregd72002

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jal wrote:
DarkElf wrote:

I just have to ask: are you using Google Translate to turn your output into English? I can barely understand it...

JAL

🤣, looks so 😁

Reply 58 of 197, by Anotherguest

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried installing this on a Samsung SGH-i550 (S60v3 phone) and the end result is not very good. Installing the main application is not a problem, but all related libs are only installable on true Nokia phones. I have compiled Dosbox for Symbian my self (but could n't get it to run properly due to memory issues), and I know all these dependency libs should not be needed, and those needed could be included as static libs.

This simplifies some issues at least when it comes to zlib support etc and will make the installation work on LG, Samsung phones also.

Keep up the good work, looking forward seeing the source soon, so I can build a UIQ3 versions. (And any source is better than NO source regardless its state.). So please provide a DL link for the latest source. 😀

Reply 59 of 197, by abc_to_xyz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, Just joined this forum to thank u (4 trying), But there's a BIG Prob! As u said, the normal version will not work on My N95-1 (Yes, It Gives "Memory full" Error!), But even the Slim version is also not working, (Whenever I try to open DosBox, it do nothing!). The same thing is happening to various N95 users around (maybe on few other models to), anyclue why is it happening? I have installed all dependencies and have used default mapper.txt and dosbox.conf (C:\Data)!

(Keep in Mind that N95-1 has Dual 332 MHz Texas Instruments OMAP 2420 (ARM11-based) Processor)

My Site: http://yahyanaveed.50webs.com/