VOGONS

dosbox for s60 (symbian) first results

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 60 of 197, by abc_to_xyz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

UPDATE: By Closing all other hidden processes runing on my phone, I have managed to run DosBox (Even Tested "Dangerous Dave" Game) but there are two problems.

1. Game was Running very SLOW! I even tried changing Cycles/other settings, but no use.. Still Slow. Very Slow..
2. Can't Figure how to change Mapper.TXT - I was able to type Numbers only at command prompt (by using default file), How to change that? I don't want T9 support, but I only want a normal cell-text input.... or any virtual keyboard kind of solution (If 1st one is not possible)!!

BTW, Why don't u Guyz use ScreenShot apps to get snaps?

My Site: http://yahyanaveed.50webs.com/

Reply 62 of 197, by abc_to_xyz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

wd: No need to be that hard! I'm tweaking with the settings trying to make it good, even tried adding framerate, output, vga options, but still, no improvment!!!

'it needs too much memory' is not a serious problem at this moment!

My Site: http://yahyanaveed.50webs.com/

Reply 64 of 197, by Xelasarg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, congrats to the dev, that looks really promising. As a PocketPC user, I've felt somewhat privileged for some time - until now 😀

Don't expect anything from DOSBox running on a 330MHz cpu in normal mode. The best you get out of a 500 MHz PPC can be compared to something like a mediocre 80286 (well at least on the newest PPC port, which is based on DOSBox v0.63). And that's without enabling sound emulation!

Enough to play Ultima VI (:happyhappy:), but that's about it.

The most interesting fact about this new port is, that the implementation of dynamic core seems possible. That should really provide a major speed boost.

I think I'm beginning to feel a bit jealous 😊

"What's a paladin?!"

Reply 66 of 197, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

*closed*

I might open it again in the future, but it will then be closed again if anybody complains about speed or memory usage,
I would like to ask kolijoco to release the sourcecode of his work as well as that is required by the GPL.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 67 of 197, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

*Reopened*

Please note that DOSBox is a an emulator of both PC Hardware and basic software (DOS,mouse and other drivers) and requires as of such a lot of resources.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 71 of 197, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I don't know what the big deal is. Must have some strange appeal to gadget fans. A number of the gadget sites have picked up on it. This Marcin-PRV is promoting the "feat" like some kind of press release, even with a custom "badge" on all the screenshots:

Attachments

• self_promotion.jpg
    Filename
    self_promotion.jpg
    File size
    21.99 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 75 of 197, by fernando20

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I wonder if the touchscreen can work as the mouse on the 5800...

Edit: it does! (kinda) awesome!

But again, awesome job kolijoco, thanks for the staff for reopening this thread, and please don't let people taking credit for stuff you made get you down, it happens a lot on the S60 scene, unfortunately...

Edit2: wow that's lame, the polish guy even set up the screensaver on that 3.1 image he uploaded to read by *his name*. I'm better off downloading and installing my own 3.1

Edit3: yeah it takes some work to make vanilla 3.1 work on dosbox, so the different package is kinda justified edit4: nah, tried his conf with my vanilla 3.1 and it worked fine, pff.

Edit4: So, I tried a couple things with the .conf file, but still haven't managed, is there a way to make it output at 640x360 naturally? Cause right now it is resizing windows to QVGA then blowing it up to fit 640x360, it looks kinda bad.

Reply 76 of 197, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ugh, these news are spread around the net like mad across various mobile websites, and all are hailing the fantastic Marcin-prv who made it all possible 🙄

So idiotic, considering he didn't do anything about it. Except downloading the S60 port of DOSBox from here and remove the readme.txt by kolijoco, add his own and make a new archive called DOSBox_s60v3_(Marcin-prv).rar 😜

Reply 78 of 197, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

You could add your own little license-text to your release and say "Marcin-prv is not allowed to use this software".

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions