VOGONS

dosbox for s60 (symbian) first results

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 80 of 197, by leventbb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Tested on E71, works well..
I played Tank Wars, its actually quite playable... congrats kolijoco!

below is the keys that I've managed to map with E71s keyboard. I haven't been able to map number keys, left function key and shift key. I've assigned comma to Escape since it is needed more.

key_period "key 46"
key_space "key 32"
key_esc "key 44"
key_up "key 273"
key_down "key 274"
key_left "key 276"
key_right "key 275"
key_bspace "key 8"
key_enter "key 13"
key_q "key 113"
key_w "key 119"
key_e "key 101"
key_r "key 114"
key_t "key 116"
key_y "key 121"
key_u "key 117"
key_i "key 105"
key_o "key 111"
key_p "key 112"
key_a "key 97"
key_s "key 115"
key_d "key 100"
key_f "key 102"
key_g "key 103"
key_h "key 104"
key_j "key 106"
key_k "key 107"
key_l "key 108"
key_z "key 122"
key_x "key 120"
key_c "key 99"
key_v "key 118"
key_b "key 98"
key_n "key 110"
key_m "key 109"

Reply 81 of 197, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kolijoco wrote:

just boosted video speed by 25%, yippie!

That's excellent news! 😎

MiniMax wrote:

You could add your own little license-text to your release and say "Marcin-prv is not allowed to use this software".

Hahaha, that would be great 😁

I've told some Symbian websites about it, although only one actually changed their news info so far.

Reply 82 of 197, by gregd72002

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Freddo wrote:

[...]
I've told some Symbian websites about it, although only one actually changed their news info so far.

I'm trying to do the same... The guy seem to be polish, furthermore some webpages are claiming now that he is the first ever to run it 😒

I dont think there is a way to stop it....
look at all the links here...
http://www.wikio.com/news/Marcin

I went through a few his instructions how to install win3.1 and there are all the same. What about to add in the next releases of the port some kind of 'extra thing' to prevent his way of installing win3.1, to make it more difficult for him 😉

Reply 83 of 197, by kolijoco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

never mind, leave it be...

its just dumb, and we're (well speaking for myself anyway) more grown-up than that...

when we release, we'll just be a little more explicit in the readme, release notes and maybe even a splash screen (though i'd hate to make others suffer for my pride :-))

cheers!

Reply 84 of 197, by gregd72002

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Managed to attract his attention regarding this issue... I guess have to leave it be as it does not make sense to speak with him. His response was:

Garbage... […]
Show full quote

Garbage...

Mr kolijoco could have run Windows time ago.
Did I write that I created DOSBox for Symbian?

I was the first to run it.
Not my fault that kolijoco did not come to this idea first

(Orig, (polish) version: http://www.frazpc.pl/b/232621#bot )

So yeah, no sense fighting... good luck for further development kolijoco! 😀
... UPDATE!

Or... news! I wrote him that he could at least leave your readme.txt file! His next response:

I see that a discussion with you [me] has no sense.
For the sake of peace I will upload new files to iPmart [popular forum where he published firstly his work], so that people like you [me] will not complain.

And finally, his final response:

To kolijoco

Apologize for kolijoco if I forgot to include your README file.

I think that the topic should be closed 😀

(The same reference applies)

Last edited by gregd72002 on 2009-02-25, 18:36. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 85 of 197, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Uhm so people think they are cool because they manage to execute a port
which somebody else did, to run an app that works out-of-the-box?
I was aware that there are pretty dumb people out there, but posting
those stickers at the screenshots tops that. Congrats for a 0% achievement!

Reply 86 of 197, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

http://translate.google.com/translate?prev=hp … bot&sl=pl&tl=en

Google Translate wrote:

For kolijoco apologize if I forgot to include your README file.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 91 of 197, by greenender

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

kolijoco:

I was waiting for such a DosBox port for Symbian for a long time. You rock!
I'm pretty pissed, that a guy from my country took (almost) all the praise for that. It's good thing though, that he was not able to delete the dos prompt info "Symbian port by kolijoco". All interested people will know who was the author 😀

Looking forward to getting a release.
Cheers 😀

Reply 92 of 197, by kolijoco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

1st, thanks to all for "making a stand", appriciate (never could learn how to spell that word) it.

as i said earlier i tweaked rendering a bit: undoing some overhead i introduced earlier, setting sdl to use dsa, and letting s60 handle the orientations for me. this gave a boost of 25-30% (my uber-benchmark of timing eob's intro :-). i'm also rigging a virtual screen mode so you can pan around your 640x480 windows desktop, or read stuff on the console, if that's your thing.

i'm trying to get the dynamic core working before i release (it all, inc source). for now its crashing, but M-HT (the author) is trying to help. if i (we) can't fix it by next week, i'll just release anyway, and hope someone more talented can rig it.

cheers!

Reply 93 of 197, by leventbb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@kolijoco:

I've been unable to use function key (also shift key is not working either but its not a big issue at the moment) on E71s keyboard. I think either underlying S60 api or SDL is not reading whether funck key is pressed or not. It displays the primary character (say "g") of the pressed key whether I press with func key or not. Is there anyway to capture funck key (such as adding +100 to keycode if that's pressed, so we can handle the mapping in mapper.txt). If you can do that, E71 will become one of the smallest PC in the world 😀

Been waiting for years for this, thanks for the excellent work..

Reply 94 of 197, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

If you are already working with the cvs sources, feel free to post a diff that
makes the recompiler backend work for you, usually stuff can be nicely bound
to cpu/system architecture to not interfere with other stuff.
Also if there are questions about the recompiler feel free to discuss them in this forum.

Reply 95 of 197, by Kalandor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey.. just joined the forum, to say a bunch of THANKS about this. You have made my day. I have Nokia E71, and since it has a QWERTY keyboard experience with this is even bigger, because I can actually play the old Sierra adventure series like Police Quest, Larry, King's Quest where you have to use text input. Even better.. managed to run Sierra's RPG "Betreyal at Krondor". Game is running very decent, a bit slow where there is disk loading. I had to increase the 'memsize' setting in dosbox.conf from 2 to 4 to be able to run the game.
That's just amazing.. with tons of old golden classic games there can be no boredom during long hours of travelling. Will keep testing and checking games and will give feedback. Thanks again

Reply 96 of 197, by fernando20

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just btw, I posted about this whole credit taking shenanigans on my blog, and although it doesn't have that big of an audience, it'll hopefully clarify someone about who really made the port. Plus I linked to this thread. http://www.fwrnando.com/2009/dosbox-running-w … 31-by-kolijoco/

Reply 97 of 197, by radicalz38

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There at last! After hours(lol) of searching at last I found the author.
@kolijoco
would just like to personally thank you for doing this port. This I guess proves that symbian is complex enough. And wishing you for further development for this software. Also I'll keep in touch on this thread thanks!