VOGONS

dosbox for s60 (symbian) first results

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 21 of 197, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wd wrote:

There are several things to reduce memory footprint on low-memory devices
in the cvs, so not sure why the 0.72 release was chosen as starting point.

Eh, most people don't look for the CVS, but just download the latest official release. And the CVS isn't linked to on the download page either.

So I don't find that particulary surprising.

Reply 25 of 197, by kolijoco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

till there is a keyboard, put the commands to launch whatever you want in the autoexec section of the conf file. (.bat files are your friends)

working on building the dynamic core, and also looking into the cvs code.

the next aim is to get a dos4gw game running (x-com :-)

Reply 27 of 197, by kolijoco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

fixed some more problems:

dos4gw will now run, so i can run x-com's intro (its a bit slow, but hey :-),

unfortunately the game itself is still crashing :-(

i also changed the shell's video mode to 0x13 (mcga), so now you can actually read console output (i'll make this a configurable option later, for now its hardcoded - easier for me to debug stuff on the device).

also fixed some virtual mouse issues, so the thumb-thingy should now function correctly as arrow keys and enter (pushing the thumb-thingy) when virtual mouse is turned off (needs the stuff in the updated mapper.txt!) arrow keys now respect your orientation setting.

since the provided mapper.txt supports entering numbers, backspace and enter (also cursor movements), if you create numbered bat files (like 1.bat, 2.bat) in your dos root dir, you can actually get some interaction (like launch the game you want). just mod your autoexec in the conf to mount and change to the root drive. once in the shell you can start "typing" :-) [1] [ENTER] to start 1.bat (you get the idea :-)

attached the new version of the sis, and the updated mapper.txt (you'll need the whole pack from the previous post for the deps and the instructions in the readme, if you're just starting)

Last edited by kolijoco on 2009-03-03, 16:01. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 29 of 197, by fernando20

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Since you wanted to see what games people would run on your port, here's my phone running http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heartlight_%28game%29!

A little slow, and no way to actually control it, but awesome, so awesome.

Attachments

• yay.jpg
    Filename
    yay.jpg
    File size
    94.62 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    heartlight woot!
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 34 of 197, by gregd72002

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hm... got memory problems... at 18.5MB RAM free does not want to run... I've installed an advanced tasks/processes manager to be able to kill some in order to free some memory up... however my battery is going down ;/ will try it later on 😀

I managed to get 23MB free ram.. still nothing... keep saying "memory full, close some applications and try again" 🙁

I think I can forget about running it on my phone 🙁

Reply 38 of 197, by gregd72002

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kolijoco wrote:

please be patient if you have memory issues. as soon as i'm done debugging some compatibility stuff, i'll streamline the code to lose some weight!

Ok, will be looking forward for that 😀

From what I read on this page one need around 40MB memory to run it (as of now). Is it actually feasible to trim it down to 20MB? Because that's what my nokia E65 offers to the user. I know that it is a bit of crap but except of the memory issue I like my mobile 😉

Thanks!