VOGONS

Controls Menu

Topic actions

First post, by drsassafras

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi

Could Dosbox Features Such as Screen Capture, Video Record, basicly everything you see at http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Special_Keys be placed into a menu beside the file menu? They could be clicked manually, & can also serve as a reminder of what options are there and the keyboard shortcuts.

I think it would make dosbox easier to use & would cut down on the learning curve it takes to use DosBox effectively.

Reply 4 of 15, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

wd iz ze devil

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 6 of 15, by drsassafras

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

After searching for several hours on the SDL website, & viewing many SDL tutorials, I still don't see any way to manipulate the GUI. Everything I see has the code compiled like an old application would have such as in dos, or in some non-visual language. Can you direct me to the visual part of this?

Reply 7 of 15, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4566319.stm

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 10 of 15, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

you didn't waste your time. You only didn't realize that if it was really simple we would have done ages ago.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 11 of 15, by drsassafras

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sometimes I don't know with you guys. I feel as though I get more comments making fun of the fact that I am new to dosbox than I get comments that would help me become more familiar with it. I suppose it could be something else I don't understand about the behavior of the experienced members of this forum. This thread is not the only example. I get the feeling that I am not wanted here. I think (with the only exception of Fryslan's post) I have finally got the general idea. goodbye.

Reply 13 of 15, by drsassafras

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I suppose I was not clear in my post. There is in fact no "file" menu in dosbox. I have included a screen shot for the sake of clarification.

My comment should have talked about adding another menu beside the window menu in dosbox that would allow the keyboard shortcuts (such as frameskip, & screen capture) to be accessed via the menu. It could also serve as a reminder to all those who do not have the keyboard shortcuts memorized to heart.

The menu might be called "function" or "actions" or something.

I don't see how DSGL could do this, it really seems to me as though it would need to be implemented in DosBox.

At this point I am unsure if my initial comment was too specific (and with some false information in it) for it to be understandable.

Attachments

• DosBox Screenshot.jpg
    Filename
    DosBox Screenshot.jpg
    File size
    83.56 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Screenshot of me with the open "window" menu in DoxBox.
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 14 of 15, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, a lot of hard work has already been invested by Moe, Kippesoep and others to write a cross-platform solution by implementing a front-end/User Interface inside DOSBox to alter settings. Might make sense to also include tools to the features that you talked about. Still, the UI is a complex thing and might take quite some time to finish before it is integrated into DOSBox.