VOGONS

sound?

Topic actions

First post, by madman_legion

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ok, have just tried to play both Starcon3 and Syndicate on the newest (cvs) build, and in both cases, the audio settings just crashed dosbox out, in syndicate, just after choosing between syndicate and american revolt, and in starcon3 at the audio choose program

where am i going wrong!

😀
thanks in advance

edit: i suspect that this might be a soundcard problem, its an onboard "SoundMax Integreated Audio" on account of having MASSIVE problems with creatives recently.

Last edited by madman_legion on 2003-09-19, 16:13. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 4, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

It actually depends on the way it crashes.
Dosbox emulates a soundcard for you. and outputs it to directX

But as this "bug" is happening with the cvs version this is all the info i will provide.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 4, by madman_legion

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

its a straight crash to desktop, the debug version ran a list of errors, of which i managed to catch that it was a dpmi fault before it died, the game itself (starcon3) runs fine, just the sound setup dies, have just installed pci-128 soundcard, still no joy, so i figure its a bug in the cvs, altho, syndicate at least allegedly works?

Reply 3 of 4, by BatCountry

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Both being protected mode games, it's possible they just don't work right under the current CVS. (Like dosbox says when you start it up, Dosbox does not run protected mode games)

However, some things you want to avoid/try with sound setup programs:

Avoid autodetection... Even on a native SB with a real system made for the game, the autodetect functions in some games crashed. It's a bit wonky in that respect, and bad memory handling in protected mode in some games just makes it worse.

Make sure the SB IRQ matches up between the game setup program and the dosbox.conf. Even though my dosbox.conf has the SB IRQ set to 7, some game setups still autodetect as IRQ5.

If you're only having problems with the setup program, try running the sound setup under windows, setting the options manually, saving the settings, and load the game under dosbox.

And finally, hell, it's mojo, and there's no reason it should work, but try changing the dosbox.conf SB IRQ setting to 5. Some of the newer dos games just would not work right with some motherboards and an SB Pro on IRQ 7. I remember having problems with Star Control 3 back in the day on my SB 16.

Reply 4 of 4, by icemann

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Or for the quick and easy way to get Syndicate to run, just go into your syndplus/syndicat directory and run main.exe and you`ll have none of the above problems. You wont be able to play Americain revolt this way, but atleast you can play the original game.