VOGONS

First post, by ChaosFish

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

One of the thing that annoyed me the most since Windows 95, is the Windows® key. It's very near the Ctrl and the Alt keys and lots of people are accidently pressing it while playing DOS games.

Is there a plane for a "Disable Windows® key/ other windows shortcuts" feature?

Reply 3 of 8, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wrote something years ago as I played a lot of UT and I kept minimising UT instead of jumping/taunting by hitting the Windows Key 😀

You can find my util here http://www.clankak.co.uk/files/WinKey1-1.zip

Best of luck!

Reply 4 of 8, by ChaosFish

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you so much Reckless! Works splendidly.

You DOSBox people might want to put a link for this progarm at your site, it's very important for DOS games.

Reply 7 of 8, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Anyone can have the source! I had given it to someone a while back for a similar integration task. It's all in CPP, is Windows specific (obviously) was developed under VS6 though I'm sure it'll work under any later version.

One update I always fancied was to put my own wrapper around it which would make the program very useful... For example:
Define a list of games/apps that the utility should be aware of. Each time one of the games/apps on the list is started, the util would apply a set of keyboard rules that the user configured when the game was added.

I couldn't really think what other rules there would be apart from disabling the Windows key but I'm sure other people have other ideas!!

If there's enough interest I don't see why I couldn't do it.