VOGONS

"rebooting" dosbox

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by textmode

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

We need a way to reboot dosbox without having to quit and restart dosbox 😒 . Something equivalent to "CTRL-ALT-DEL". May be "CTRL-ALT-R"? 🙄

Reply 4 of 16, by textmode

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

CTRL+F9

This still closes DosBox. Need something like a reset button on an old PC. Something that completely reset's and reboots the computer without having flip the power switch on and off, or in this case, having to close DosBox and Restart.

Reply 6 of 16, by textmode

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
collector wrote:

Why is just restarting DOSBox such a big deal?

Because when booting old dos game images (.img) many of them take over the whole system with no way to exit, except to close the dosbox window and restart everything again. Just wanted to make things a little easier here.

Reply 10 of 16, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Asaki wrote:

I know this thread is a bit old, is there still no way to reboot? I was looking through the manual and couldn't find anything, except ctrl+f9, which only closes the program.

Being able to reboot would be really handy.

Some custom SVN builds such as Hal9000's megabuild and Daum Cafe have reboot though Ctrl+Alt+Home

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 11 of 16, by videogamer555

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Why has it not been implemented yet? I know that normally the developers excuse themselves when they leave out a feature by saying "this is just an emulator for dos games". However many dos games require rebooting. So that excuse of "it's just a game emulator" doesn't fly when it comes to leaving out this particular feature. This to me seems just like lazy developers.

And saying "just download this other guy's branch of DosBox, because it has feature xyz" also doesn't fly. This is a feature that should OBVIOUSLY be in the main branch of this software. And yet it's not. I think this is as I said above, just an example of the developer first making a mistake and leaving something out that SHOULD have been in, and then when it's pointed out to them that they made a mistake, they show their laziness by NOT ADDING IT, and instead recommending you download some other UNOFFICIAL branch of DosBox.

Last edited by videogamer555 on 2015-03-25, 08:12. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 13 of 16, by videogamer555

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Qbix wrote:

really ? Which games do you know ?

I don't know them by name, but I remember I used to have an actual physical old IBM PC (and I do mean the literal PC, as in the vintage series of IBM computers PC, AT, and XT, not just the generic word PC referring to any Intel x86 based computer), that I bought used. I remember that some of the games for it (they were on the old 5.25inch disks) when run would take over the system. The only way to get out of them was to reboot. Some of them would only be able to run by booting to them. Some of the game's couldn't even be run from a command prompt, and would require you boot the disk they were on. To get out of the game, you had to remove the floppy, then hit ctrl+alt+delete to reboot (and before rebooting, you'd either need a system disk inserted into drive A, or you would need to have a harddrive, very rare for these old PCs).

Reply 14 of 16, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can boot floppy (or hd) images in DOSBox with the BOOT command. Booter games don't require "rebooting", just booting from a floppy.
And to get out you can just close DOSBox (and restart it if you want to continue).

Reply 15 of 16, by videogamer555

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
idspispopd wrote:

You can boot floppy (or hd) images in DOSBox with the BOOT command. Booter games don't require "rebooting", just booting from a floppy.
And to get out you can just close DOSBox (and restart it if you want to continue).

Any well-made emulator has a reset or reboot option in one of its menus. Just look at every other emulator for every other system that has ever been written. DosBox is the ONLY one that doesn't have some way to reset it with either a menu option or a hotkey.

Reply 16 of 16, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Closed.

The DOSBox code is easily available so code it into DOSBox yourself. We are too "lazy" to do it for you

P.S. Aggravating people is not a very effective way to get way you want.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline