VOGONS

First post, by Lobivopsis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm wondering, how difficult would GUS and Roland MT32 emulation be? I know that the technical details of the GUS are well known at least.

(of course, that would have to wait untill everything else was working)

It'd be great to be able to play those old Origin games with the MT-32 soundtrack or Zone-66 with the GUS soundtrack as god intended.

Reply 1 of 12, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Quick search is your friend.

showthread.php?threadid=187&highlight=GUS

showthread.php?threadid=719&highlight=GUS

showthread.php?threadid=2019&highlight=GUS

The 2nd and 3rd posts are the most significant.

showthread.php?threadid=793&highlight=MT32+emulation

showthread.php?threadid=1677&highlight=MT32+emulation

showthread.php?threadid=1808&highlight=MT32+emulation

showthread.php?threadid=1992&highlight=MT32+emulation

showthread.php?threadid=2095&highlight=MT32+emulation

showthread.php?threadid=2382&highlight=MT32+emulation

Reply 2 of 12, by canadacow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just commited complete GUS emulation to DosBox's CVS. Works with every demo and game I've tried so far without any problems (and I've tried a lot). As for the MT-32 emulator, however, that's on hold pending word from Roland.

Reply 7 of 12, by Alkarion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If now support for VCPI was implemented in Dosbox, we could use Megaem to make the GUS emulate the MT-32. Now that would be a fine workaround considering the state of the Roland affair.

Reply 8 of 12, by canadacow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Getting MegaEm to function would require even more work than that. NMI (Non-Maskable Interrupt) functionality would have to be implemented as well. Ultimately, however, MegaEm isn't true MT-32 emulation like what I developed. Its no more functional than simply using your system's MIDI port configured with an MT-32 patch bank. (For clarification sake to benefit the lawyers now reading this forum, I'm not refering to the using of the MT-32 samples, but rather a user created patch bank configured to match the MT-32's instrument configuration.)

Last edited by canadacow on 2003-11-05, 19:03. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 9 of 12, by Srecko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi
The emulator works great.
I've tested few programs and games and here are those that don't work perfectly.

First, the Fast Tracker 2:
It uses some unhandled stuff so playback mostly doesn't sound well.
This wonderful program can switch between soundblaster & GUS output on the fly,
and it has support for playing 16-bit & 8-bit samples so I'd reccomend it for testing the gus emulation.
Other problems I've noticed with it is thas GUS playback is a bit slower,
16-bit sounds are one octave up (i.e. played on the double frequency)
and if volume is at maximum, sound is sometimes distorted.
Btw., FT2 can play mod, s3m & xm modules and most common sample formats.

Impulse Tracker works well except for occasional pitch problems and
same problem with 16-bit samples.
UPDATE: Impulse tracker changes number of active channels during playback (if more than 14) and pitch of sound output then changes (probably program's "correction").

Other games that don't work with GUS emulator:
Alien Breed 2 TA : no sound
Extreme Pinbal: gives error
UFO (or X-COM 1): freezes
The Horde: freezes
Pinball Dreams2/Pinball Fantasies: Play only for a short moment.

Last edited by Srecko on 2003-11-08, 16:15. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 10 of 12, by canadacow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for your input on my emulator. You successfully found a lot of the apps out there that use undocumented GUS features. I was able to fix the 16-bit sample playback. I also got Impulse Tracker working just fine. As for Fast Tracker 2... it seems that the timer resolution just isn't enough to properly drive FT2. There's not really anything I can do to fix this as its a general SDL/DosBox issue. Of the other games you mentioned, the majority (all except Xcom) use some undocumented register in their interface. I've scowered the net for information on these registers with little success. Until I find something that helps me those apps will remain unsupported. Let me know if there are any programs out there with problems. Oh yeah... I've commited my changes to the GUS emulation to the CVS.

Reply 11 of 12, by Srecko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Impulse tracker still has pitch problems, but it's better now.
I've made a small module which demonstrates problems:
http://student.fizika.org/~smorovic/gustst.zip

I tried digitrakker 3.2 too but it gives CPU error in dosbox (a real mode EMS program:( )

Also, Death rally doesn't load with gus driver selected
and Su 27 Flanker (dos version) has problems with keyboard in game if GUS sound is used (PageUp & numpad 9 do the same thing unlike with DOS driver) though I'm not sure if this is emulator problem or a game bug (Alien Breed 2 also seems to have small keyboard problems with GUS).

Reply 12 of 12, by jal

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

canadacow: I find it surprising that an "undocumented register" is used. The GUS was especially well known for its thorough SDK, and afaik there were no undocumented registers. However, you could try asking at usenet comp.sys.ibm.pc.demos, some oldtimers may remember. Heck, you could try to ask me, just drop me an e-mail (jal-at-hacom-dot-nl).

JAL / Nostalgia