VOGONS

First post, by MasterII

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If CTRL+F11 or CTRL+F12 is pressed, no notification about speed is done.
"Automatic" speed detection does not working good in this CVS. In every game I need to increase (about 10x) speed with CTRL+F12
It should be good to show CPU speed "related" to some predefined CPU like 286[freqency]/386[freqency]/486[freqency]. This could be good also as implementation "directly" to DOSBOX comand-line.
E.g. in *.bat files shoud be inserted definition about CPU speed only for game to run. Not for all.
{
-speed c:486 f:100
rungame.exe
-speed auto/noauto
}

But most games runs nearly excelent. Just my computer seems to be slow for 3D games (P4 1,7GHz) [Duke3D, Witcheaven, Tekwar,...])

But the speed emulation is a bit better than "VirtualPC" does.

I have strange problem with Pinball Illusion, this game always detects 00000kB free memory and crushes DOSBox. {just for information}

Reply 1 of 13, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Dosbox has no automatic speed detection

The messages of the increase and decrease of the cpu cycles were/are disabled for technical purposes. not because of a automatic speed detection feature. The reason quite some games actually play right is because most games are interrupt timed.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 13, by MasterII

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, now there is info in Application Bar ... it's good !

But I have found another problem :
If I want to "speed-up" game, I press CTRL+F12 repeatedly. Number of CPU cycles grows up but when reaches 2643590 it hangs ... CTRL+F11 does not work
Dosbox should be closed normally with X

Reply 3 of 13, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

there is no need to increase it that high 😀

i know of no game and of no system which can handle/needs more than 12.000 cpu cycles.

But it's probably an overflow bug somewhere as the system isn't designed for such large values.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 4 of 13, by Harekiet

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Well a athlon64 could probably handle a load more, dunno about p4's think they take a serious speedhit because of all the unpredictable branches in the cpu core.

Reply 5 of 13, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

*Nicht drinks soda*

Originally posted by MasterII If I want to "speed-up" game, I press CTRL+F12 repeatedly. Number of CPU cycles grows up but when reaches 2643590 it hangs ...

*gurk*
*Mountain Dew comes flying out of Nicht's nose*
*recovers*

I imagine myself approaching a garage mechanic and telling him that my car has a problem. I press on the accelerator to go faster and faster, but when it reaches 300MPH it goes out of control and crashes...

In any case, the PC ports of the early "21st Century" Pinball games weren't done very well. I tend to recommend the Amiga versions instead.

Reply 7 of 13, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

In any case, the PC ports of the early "21st Century" Pinball games weren't done very well. I tend to recommend the Amiga versions instead.

*lol* You'd recommend the Amiga as the next President of the United States if you didn't know that we'd laugh you off of VOGONS 😉

Reply 10 of 13, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by HunterZ *lol* You'd recommend the Amiga as the next President...

Hey look everybody! HunterZ just volunteered to help MasterII get "Pinball Illusions" running properly on his PC.

Good luck. For fun, search for the earlier posts on the various 21st Century/Spidersoft Pinball games.

Reply 11 of 13, by mortene

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there!

I happen to be the programmer of a game called Interpose (released in 1996). The game uses the same dos extender as Pinball Illusion. I might be able to help you out. I'm also very interested in getting Interpose to work with DosBox.

I can't get hold of the Dos Extender author (Stein Norheim), but I have the source code for Interpose, and that should help. I might also have some more stuff. I will look through old backups.

Send me an e-mail if I can help: mer@enonic.com

best regards,
Morten Eriksen
Twilight Zone Software (not an active company)

Reply 12 of 13, by stein

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi.

Just found this discussion... although more than two years late... I don't know if Interpose or Pinball Illusions work on the current versions of DosBox, but if anyone still is trying to get it working, I can provide him with the source code to the DOS extender we used. Just to make amends for some of my programming sins when I was 17... =)

cheers,
Stein Norheim
FrontLine Design (inactive)

stein_at_abc_dot_se

Reply 13 of 13, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi, Stein. Welcome to the forums! 😎

So, I take it you are a programmer. Then you should do well in visiting the DOSBOX DEVELOPMENT section on the forum. There you will find some weirdos that like to spend a lot of their precious time fighting with code, finding a creating new bugs and such (just kidding). I am sure you will enjoy your stay here.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)