VOGONS

First post, by necrolust

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am somewhat wary of posting threads like this, because I know that the CVS versions of DOSBox are unsupported, and I realize that everyone wants their "favorite game" to work.

However, I WAS curious as to whether or not anyone was able to get sound in QfG4 working with the newest CVS version. I'm curious as to whether it's a problem with my drivers, as a few things seem to point to, or whether perhaps it doesn't work for anybody. An answer would put my mind to rest a bit, since I've been hammering away at this for a while, with little luck. Strangely, I once got the Debug version to get partial sound, while the regular version got nothing (!?). I was under the impression that there shouldn't be any real fundamental differences between the two, so I'm not even going to speculate as to what that is all about.

Anyway, I'm off track. Sound in Quest for Glory 4 or not?

Reply 1 of 10, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a couple of responses to your post:

1. What exactly have you tried? There are many combinations of sound options you can choose from in both QFG4 and DOSBox, so it would be helpful for people to know what you have and haven't tried (of those combinations which make sense at least)

2. Isn't there a Windows version of QFG4? Maybe it doesn't run under modern Windows versions though...

I only own the first three games, so the only experience I have with QFG4 is running the Windows version under Win95 when I borrowed it from a friend once. I remember it liked to freeze a lot in one certain spot early in the game.

Reply 2 of 10, by Magic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I hope everyone knows about the bugs in QFG4. I completed the game multiple times (In a row, to get my stats up for 5) yeeeaaars ago and there were two points in the game with a nasty bug - namely a crash when you walked past two points (One being the sludge pool after the Dark One's cave - where you slide down I think).
The game suggests you try things 'differently', which means you have to walk either slowly or a different path.

Just thought I'd mention that.

-Magic
www.samods.com - Mods by modders.

Reply 3 of 10, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by necrolust However, I WAS curious as to whether or not anyone was able to get sound in QfG4 working with the newest CVS version.

showthread.php?s=&postid=21900#post21900

Wait for a future release...

Originally posted by Magic I hope everyone knows about the bugs in QFG4.

Running it in DosBox fixes the majority (if not all) of the game-killing bugs

Reply 4 of 10, by necrolust

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can wait, I was curious though because I suspected problems with my DOS sound drivers. IS there any reason that there would be differences between CVS version .** and Debug CVS version .**SAME? That threw me off.

Magic, yup, played through it before with a new system. There are workarounds for all those Error 5*s, though it is a pain in the ass. As stated, however, DOSBox fixes those problems wonderfully. It was an issue of the game running too quickly.

Hunter, I'd answer your questions, but I guess it's irrelevant by now. Thanks for the help anyway.
On a related note, you might want to try the last two games, they are, in my opinion, the best in the series.

Thanks for the replies. I've apparently become obsessed with playing Quest for Glory. I'm not normally like this. I swear!

paul@rvt.com

Reply 5 of 10, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Glad you found some answers. QFG4 seemed cool (only got about 20-30% in I'm guessing), but I never got into QFG5 because its 3D characters with 2D backgrounds seemed to combine the worst of both worlds in the same way as other games I've played (and not been able to get into) like Return to Krondor and Resident Evil 3. Maybe someday I'll come back to it; I was really into the QFG series for a while, despite being much more of a sci-fi fan than a fantasy fan.

Reply 6 of 10, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
necrolust wrote:

I can wait, I was curious though because I suspected problems with my DOS sound drivers. IS there any reason that there would be differences between CVS version .** and Debug CVS version .**SAME? That threw me off.

There were differences between them. Games tended to run in the debug version only.
(This matter has been investigated and solved by Mirekluza)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 7 of 10, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

> differences between CVS version .** and Debug CVS version.

I have not ever tested QFG4, my coment concerns only the following bug which led to difference between release and debug version of CVS:
Up to yesterday there used to be a bug in version compiled without debugger. There was one small piece of code which was forgotten in the part which was excluded from release (one LEAVECORE in the file prefix_none.h in "normal core" of DOSBOX).

This basically meant that some games did not work in version without debugger (Star Trail, Crystal Caves, Secret Agent and possibly others).

Mirek

EDIT: I wrote this message before reading QBIX's message fromabove. He is very quick 😀

Reply 9 of 10, by remixor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Pardon me for stupid questions, but it seems like Sierra games come with so many files I never have any idea which I'm supposed to run, especially when the CD contains both a DOS and a Windows version. I'm trying to run the DOS version of QFG4 through DOSBox. Do I have to install it through DOSBox? What do I run afterwards?