VOGONS

First post, by Alkarion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

While playing around with the different versions of Dosbox I noticed that the CPU load in idle mode varies considerably from version to version. While the 0.58 version with Roland support by canadcow uses in idle mode only 20%-25% the official 0.58 version uses 40%-50% and the current CVS (9/28) uses the full 100%. As low CPU usage is very useful for a laptop user or those of us who have CPU load dependent fans, I'd like to know if a reduction of the CPU load in the coming versions is possible or being worked on.

Reply 1 of 2, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Did you make sure that the frameskip and cycle count was the same in all of those tests, and that you were monitoring DOSbox when it was in the same state (e.g. running a specific game or sitting at a DOS prompt) each time? Just curious.

I've also noticed differences, but for the most part it doesn't matter because my computer is only a PIII-550. Of course that's my problem and not that of the DOSbox developers, but as a result I'm also interested in the prospect of CPU usage optimizations.

Reply 2 of 2, by Alkarion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Did you make sure that the frameskip and cycle count was the same in all of those tests, and that you were monitoring DOSbox when it was in the same state (e.g. running a specific game or sitting at a DOS prompt) each time? Just curious.

You got a point there, I used different cycle counts and have to test it again. By idle mode I meant the Dos(Box)-Prompt.