VOGONS

First post, by Moleculor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Old, rarely played game called Millenia. I've never gotten it to run stablely in Windows (with the most successful run got me into the game and playing before it crashed).

Right now, if I play it with sound, DosBox prints out a bunch of garbage into the DosBox window (non-alpha ASCII characters, like the smileys and weird boxes 'n lines 'n such). It then may or may not bump back to the prompt.

If I play without sound, it gives me an Unhandled CPU opcode. (Which I figure the dev probably knows about, but hey, might as well report it.)

Fragile Allegiance just gives me:

SHELL:Redirect output to NUL
Exit to error: CPU Paging features aren't supported

No matter what.

Reply 4 of 5, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Moleculor Old, rarely played game called Millenia. I've never gotten it to run stablely in Windows (with the most successful run got me into the game and playing before it crashed).

I can run Millenia quite well with VDMSound in Windows XP.

It should also run in DosBox 0.60 (last tested with a CVS release from September), but it will probably need a pretty beefy processor.

Right now, if I play it with sound, DosBox prints out a bunch of garbage into the DosBox window (non-alpha ASCII characters, like the smileys and weird boxes 'n lines 'n such). It then may or may not bump back to the prompt.

Make absolutely sure that you are choosing the most basic sound blaster setup[code] Digital Device

Sound Blaster

Port DMA IRQ
220 1 7
-----------------------------------
MIDI Device

Sound Blaster

MIDI Port
388[/code] These should match the default sound settings for DosBox.

If I play without sound, it gives me an Unhandled CPU opcode. (Which I figure the dev probably knows about, but hey, might as well report it.)

Might have "broke" on the final release of DosBox 0.60
Millenia

Fragile Allegiance just gives me: SHELL:Redirect output to NUL Exit to error: CPU Paging features aren't supported […]
Show full quote

Fragile Allegiance just gives me:

SHELL:Redirect output to NUL
Exit to error: CPU Paging features aren't supported

Is the Windows version not on the same CD? If so, can we presume you can't get it working either?

Wow. Someone's in a bad mood today.

He's usually that way. Being the creator of DosBox, that's his privilidge.

Did you not read the stuff about the garbage?

He was probably looking for something more detailed that a programmer might notice because you titled the thread "Bug Report".

Originally posted by HunterZ Did someone delete a post I made to this thread? Just wondering.

Not that I'm aware of...

Reply 5 of 5, by Moleculor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

And if I were using WinXP, I probably wouldn't need DosBox.

Those are my settings on my card and the setup program.

I figure it was probably not implimented to begin with. Which is why I said I figured it was known about. (After all, if it gives an actual error message in english, the problem was anticipated.)

The only 'Windows' version is a single shortcut the CD installs that forces Fragile Allegiance to run in a Windows DosEmulation box. Which of course never gets beyond a blinking dos cursor.

Then he should have read closer.

And unfortunately I have neither a compiler, debugger, nor anything better than 'garbage' unless he want's a screenshot of it, which I'm sure wouldn't be all that informative, since it changes every time it appears.