VOGONS

First post, by MuMart

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What do you think about the possibility of integrating DOSBox with Fabrice Bellard's portable (uses gcc for code generation apparently) dynamic-translating pentum emulator? On 1ghz machines this emulator reaches convincing pentium speeds.

Just a thought, I know it would be a hell of a job 😀

Regards,
Martin

Reply 2 of 8, by icemann

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Would that result in the over-speeding that would occur in alot of old dos games in newer systems?. For example I remember Wingcommander 2 on anything above a 486 would speed through the cutscenes with no way of slowing it down.

Two stones, two crosses, the rest is just icing. - 7th Guest

Reply 3 of 8, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I think that the speed would remain configurable. This is one of the biggest advantages of DOSBOX. I do not see any reason why it would not be kept with core using dynamic recompilation (even there the execution is divided into smaller parts).
Ideally dynamic recompilation would just mean that you could use higher number of cycles without problems.
It is also probable that normal core would remain as alternative (for cases of some nasty code which dynamic recompilation would not handle well).

Mirek

Reply 4 of 8, by rjpa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Qbix wrote:

we're considering it.

Wow that sounds nice. Then at least someone will download the CVS 😉

Did you see that we've moved my forums and merged with GameForums.org? If not, come over and have a look and see the makeover 😀

/rjpa

10 PRINT "rjpa rocks!";
20 GOTO 10

Reply 5 of 8, by Merlin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Given that qemu is designed to be modular so the core can be integrated into other projects, how hard would it be to switch the emulated core of DosBox to a qemu cpu? Is it just a matter of changing some file links, or is there more to it?

Reply 7 of 8, by tomba

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hm, it's been almost 9 month since Qbix wrote about considering it. I know it probalby wouldn't be easy, but... Right now DOSBox is perfect for VGA stuff, and it would be just great if it worked with SVGA too. One complete, powerfull DOS emulator... <dreaming> 😀

t.