VOGONS

First post, by lucky7456969

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello,
I wonder codeview for DOS has a call stack in the debugger?
Besides I have been trying turbo debugger, and wonder why the "stack"
doesn't show calls when it "steps" into one? Does it need source code?
And also I also wonder ollgdbg works under DOSBox, and has it got a call stack as well? still debugging the same application I mentioned in this group.
During a run of the game, I chose Loadfix (just a try), I found out the flickering deteriorated, does anyone have any ideas why?
Thanks a lot

Reply 1 of 6, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

ollydbg is a windows, applevel debugger so it will obviously not run *inside* dosbox.

I chose Loadfix (just a try), I found out the flickering deteriorated, does anyone have any ideas why?

Game bug usually, can't handle too much free memory/doesn't like the simplified table/mcb layout of dos or similar.

Reply 2 of 6, by lucky7456969

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wd wrote:

ollydbg is a windows, applevel debugger so it will obviously not run *inside* dosbox.

I chose Loadfix (just a try), I found out the flickering deteriorated, does anyone have any ideas why?

Game bug usually, can't handle too much free memory/doesn't like the simplified table/mcb layout of dos or similar.

Can I make the following assumption? I infer that since the game also can't be run properly under Virtual PC and full DOS environment (oc it can be run on a 486), and since it also has slight problem with DOSBox, it might be caused by SDL or the underlying video driver but not likely to be a DOS problem??? When it is run under DOS, it flickers very seriously too, even more seriously than in dosbox. Which one do you think is possible (SDL or video driver)? I am using

ATI Catalyst 2010.0202.2335.42270

I understand that ATI drivers may have some bugs very often....
Thanks
Jack

Reply 3 of 6, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Perhaps it is more likely that the game does some graphical trickery that doesn't behave well with emulated video cards. The timing of drawing to the display can cause lots of flickering and is one of the most difficult things to emulate properly, especially as there are many different behaviours with actual hardware. I don't think it is a fault of SDL or the video driver, but rather a result of decoupling the emulated hardware from the real hardware. There's not really any way around that, as it is the whole point of emulating.

My site: Ramblings on mostly tech stuff.

Reply 4 of 6, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

If it doesn't work on hardware (you may want to separate old hardware from
new hardware for this) or has problems, then the idea of an emulator is to replicate
these problems, too.
It's unlikely that an old dos game (you didn't specify the name) would not work
on at least old hardware, so if you tested it on old hardware maybe your copy
is broken, if you tested on new hardware it may be a problem of the game with
your system (speed, processor type).
In the latter case try to choose dosbox settings that reflect old machines or improve
emulation details in some parts, like the cputype settings, the machine setting,
the xms/ems settings etc.

Reply 5 of 6, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I guess he is talking about
Sprite distortion in one Chinese game

lucky7456969 wrote:
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/2332/game3b.jpg […]
Show full quote

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/2332/game3b.jpg