VOGONS

First post, by lucky7456969

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What is the level of difficulty involved in developing facilities for shared drive in booted images? Where should I start looking? I am really hoping to see this feature to be implemented in the next release of dosbox, I shall be very pleased to see that 😀
Thanks
Jack

Reply 2 of 9, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I'm guessing cdrom drive/image access after booting DOS or Win9x. I think an ATA/ATAPI emulation is required to support the device drivers in DOS (e.g. DEVICE=OAKCDROM.SYS), and the ATAPI drivers in Win9x. If the OP is referring to local drive access after booting, ugh, don't know how that could be done.

As for sharing a drive image between different instances of DOSBox, well, that doesn't really seem like it would work. I mean, can two computers use the same physical hard drive simultaneously? (N.B. a fileserver is ONE computer using the PHYSICAL drive).

Last edited by ripsaw8080 on 2010-12-09, 16:12. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 9, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ripsaw8080 wrote:

I'm guessing cdrom drive/image access after booting DOS or Win9x. I think an ATA/ATAPI emulation is required to support the device drivers in DOS (e.g. DEVICE=OAKCDROM.SYS), and the ATAPI drivers in Win9x. If the OP is referring to local drives, ugh, don't know how that could be done.

Maybe via networking adapter emulation or something 🤣

Reply 5 of 9, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Maybe you could use hal's megabuild with network support, boot a server, boot some clients, get them connected to one another. Didn't think that's what was being asked for, but it might be a challenge to kill time with.