VOGONS

First post, by emendelson

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is there any way to make the DOSBox titlebar display the actual number of cycles being used when cycles=max? This might be useful when deciding on actual numbers to use when preparing a conf file for distribution.

If there's an option to display the actual cycles when the cycles= setting is max or 50%, etc., I haven't found it. If it exists, apologies for wasting people's times.

Reply 1 of 8, by ykhwong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That feature is originally from gulikoza's experimental patch and already included in bulids of mine (when turning on 'show details'), gulikoza's, and UBER BUILD's.
http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/SVN_Builds

I don't think that displaying fluctuating real cycles is important for playing games.

Reply 2 of 8, by emendelson

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ykhwong wrote:

That feature is originally from gulikoza's experimental patch and already included in bulids of mine (when turning on 'show details'), gulikoza's, and UBER BUILD's.
http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/SVN_Builds

I don't think that displaying fluctuating real cycles is important for playing games.

Thank you! I didn't expect it to be available already, and am glad to hear that it is. I agree that fluctuating numbers aren't useful, but it might be useful to have a general idea of whether the program is running at 10,000 or 20,000, etc., for us in making a conf for distribution. Thank you again.

Reply 3 of 8, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

for us in making a conf for distribution.

Which is pretty useless because either =max/=auto works or, if you derive a fixed
cycles count from that, your "distribution" will suck on lower powered systems
that would run fine with =max/=auto.

Reply 7 of 8, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Well you can count or watch the cycles as long as you want 😉
Just be careful when trying to derive fixed cycles from that, you're usually far
better off checking if the game works with a low fixed cycles count or auto cycles
(probably cycles=max 80% or cycles=max limit 40000 or whatever works good).

Reply 8 of 8, by kekko

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I made a patch for this some time ago; I don't know if still works with current svn, though.

Attachments