VOGONS

First post, by Jamesapp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

When using imgmount is it true I cant mount a non formatted/partitioned .img file with dosbox's imgmount command?

I just mounted an img file with the following

z:\>mount c~/dos/freedos.img
z:\>c
z:>imgmount 2 freedos.img -size 512,63,16,65 -t hdd -fs none

And it mounts, I can then boot to my .img files for freedos

But when I go to run fdisk my computer doesn't recegonize the disk so I can't use fdisk to partition my drive?

I am wondering 1. Can I mount an .img file with the -fs parameter set as fat, or does it have to be none? 2.how do I partition my drive, should I look outside of dosbox, possible using unix or disk utility on my Mac?3.could I add the fdisk program to the .img files somehow and then run it when I boot?

Btw I used bximage to create the freedos.img file and I don't know if I have the latest version I don't know if that could be causing problems. Any help would be appreciated.

Reply 1 of 7, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've no idea(s) either.

When running stuff in emulators, I don't mind about partitioning anything.
For example, all the hints of dual booting windy OS and Linux thing, in emulators you don't have to think about dual booting, but just to create another virtual machine to boot it.

So you want to partition a disk image?

should I look outside of dosbox?

Never (never required, I want to say).

Klimawandel.

Reply 2 of 7, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

you like to make different threads about mostly the same problem, huh?

Again, read the guide Sample usage of a harddisc image in DOSBOX
if you don't understand parts of this, please ask explicitly about that part. In your case you also need a bootdisk for Freedos instead of a Dos 5 or Dos 6.x bootdisk. This means you need a bootable floppy image of Freedos...
And please be more precise. For example:

But when I go to run fdisk my computer doesn't recegonize the disk so I can't use fdisk to partition my drive?

where do you run fdisk, how should your computer recognize the disk since there is no disk, only an image....

1. Can I mount an .img file with the -fs parameter set as fat, or does it have to be none?

You can mount an img file with -fs fat IF there is a FAT filesystem on the image. A fresh created image isn't partitioned, nor formatted, so has no filesystem. In that case, no.

2.how do I partition my drive, should I look outside of dosbox, possible using unix or disk utility on my Mac?

Sample usage of a harddisc image in DOSBOX points 3. & 4.

3.could I add the fdisk program to the .img files somehow and then run it when I boot?

no, there is no filesystem on the image. No filesystem -> nowhere to put files

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 7, by Jamesapp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think I have a bootable floppy image of freedos, I downloaded it the other day. I have a folder on my hd with a.img b.img c.img a text file called bochsrc. And freedos.img which I created with bximage.

I have been following the guide and was able to mount my .img file (freedos.img) with -fs none.

My computer boots and I get an
a:\>prompt

Then I type
a:\>fdisk
And I get back
a:\>no fixed disk present

The part in the guide I don't get is when he successfully mount the image file, with -fs none, and then says he went on to partition the drive with fdisk. I cant seem to get fdisk to work?

I just read the guide again and he talks about a bootable floppy file that has an extension msdos60.ima

Are my files that I downloaded, that I think are my freedos files a.img b.img c.img and the bochsrc file, not right?

Should I look for freedos files that are bootable floppy images?

Thanks for the help...

Reply 4 of 7, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

My computer boots and I get an

if you mean Dosbox, type Dosbox. If you mean your computer than I don't know what you are even doing.

Please write down EXACTLY what you are doing this means your exact commands from the moment you start dosbox.

The part in the guide I don't get is when he successfully mount the image file, with -fs none, and then says he went on to partition the drive with fdisk. I cant seem to get fdisk to work?

pay attention to what the guide dos, it uses a floppy image of dos and a hard drive image. he imgmounts the hard drive image BUT boots FROM the floppy image.
So if your freedos floppy image doesn't have fdisk, get one that has fdisk.

A problem you might run into is that you have three freedos images, I doubt you can install freedos with these since Dosbox does not seem to be able to change images (not sure haven'T tested this in a while). You might get better results through bochs itself and then using the setup hard drive in dosbox.

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 7, by Jamesapp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When I said boot I meant I booted in dosbox using the boot command, and it boots. I used
Boot a.img b.img c.img

After I mounted the .img file I created, I thought I could use cntrl-f4 to switch between floppies

I will look into getting a version of free dos with fdisk

Reply 6 of 7, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Maybe fdisk has a different name in freedos. Make sure of that

Reply 7 of 7, by Jamesapp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I finally got fdisk to work, when I booted to a.img b.img c.img
I did a dir at the a:\>prompt and then ran fdisk and it worked! I think it worked I got to press esc, and my computer said it had created a dos partition but esc didn't do anything, having read the guide I think it said for fdisk to crash at the end is normal.

I created a partition now I am stuck at format. Here is what I did
Started dosbox:
Z:\>mount c ~dos/freedos-img
Z:\>c:
C:\>Imgmount 2 freedos.img -size 512,63,16,65 -t hdd -fs none

C:\>boot a.img b.img c.img

Dosbox boots to a:\> prompt then I go
A:\>format c: /s
And I get "drive letter entered is out of range... Operation terminated"

I can do a dir, I can switch to two of the .img files by pressing cntrl-f4

I have tried do a dir then trying the format command again no luck. Pressing cntrl-f4 once and trying format then I get an error "cannot open command.com and that my computer cannot access strings.dat"

Any thoughts on what is wrong? I have been looking at bochsrc which is a file that came with freedos, there are settings in there like one says
boot:c

I don't know if that would have anything to do with it?