VOGONS

First post, by emendelson

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

MegaBuild5 is an amazing achievement that makes many things possible in DOSBox that were otherwise difficult or impossible. I am very grateful for it.

I have two questions about parallel-port support, one simple, one more complex.

1. When using the option Parallel1=file, is it possible to specify the location and filename of the output file? And is it possible to specify that any new output REPLACES (does not append to) any exisiting file? If so, how can that be done?

2. This question is not a specific MegaBuild5 problem (as I'll explain below), but I hope MegaBuild5 may make it easier to solve it. Here is the question

In MegaBuild5 LPT1-->file works perfectly when printing directly from an application like WordPerfect. However, I can't figure out how to use one application that captures output from WordPerfect and then passes printer data to LPT1. It's called TrueType for WordPerfect, and is legally available here: http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/tools.html#primetype

When I print from TrueType for WordPerfect, printing begins, but never completes, and no output file is written. The console does not report that anything is happening; the DOS application locks up, and I have to shut down MegaBuild5 entirely.

As I said, this is NOT a specific MegaBuild problem. The same problem occurs with the current SVN version when I use the old PRN2FILE utility to capture output to LPT1 and send it to file. I tried using MegaBuild5 in my application in the hope that it would not have this problem, because of its extensive LPT1 support, but it seems to produce the same result. I've studied the LPT1 options in the conf file, but I don't see anything that might help. (Of course I may have misunderstood something.)

Any suggestions would be very welcome. I understand that this question will probably only interest people who enjoy tinkering with the code.

P.S. I've tried this with MegaBuild5 under XP SP3 and Windows 7 32-bit.

Edit: Additional details for TrueType for WordPerfect. This program can be set to send its output to a file instead of to a printer. Unfortunately, this option causes the same lockup described above when used in SVN or MegaBuild5. To turn on this option, edit the TTWP.CFG file in the WordPerfect directory and change the line Port1=LPT1 to Port1=LPT1,C:\PATH\FILENAME.EXT. (This works correctly in an NTVDM and in VirtualPC 2007, but not in DOSBox SVN or MegaBuild5.)

Reply 1 of 4, by emendelson

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some further information about this. Problem 2 in my original post does NOT occur with DOSBox 0.72. TrueType for WordPerfect works exactly as it should under 0.72.

However, under DOSBox 0.73 and DOSBox 0.74 (release version, SVN, MegaBuild5), the problem is as I described, though I should add some additional details:

I wrote that printing with TrueType for WordPerfect locks up the system. That's only partly accurate. What happens is this. The print job starts, but doesn't complete. The system locks up if you try to Cancel the print job from WordPerfect's Printer Control menu; but the system doesn't lock up if you simply exit WordPerfect and answer Yes to the prompt "Cancel all print jobs?" When you return the DOS prompt, there's a message "TTWP still printing. Ctrl-C to cancel... And Ctrl-C cancels the print job safely.

Again, if I use DOSBox 0.72 in exactly the same setup (conf file, etc.), the print job completes correctly.

I tried to explore this by downloading a debug version of DOSBox, but the only one I could find was a debug version of 0.72, and that's how I found out that the problem didn't occur in that version. (The link elsewhere on this forum to a debug version of 0.73 is broken.) The problem doesn't occur in the debug version of 0.72 and also doesn't occur in the release version of 0.72.

Something that changed between 0.72 and 0.73 seems to have affected this. Unfortunately, I can't use 0.72 in the application that I'm putting together. I need features that (with the help of people on this forum) I've patched into 0.74.

Steps to reproduce the problem; this assumes that you have a copy of WordPerfect for DOS 5.1 in C:\WP51.

1. Backup your C:\WP51 directory, because the next steps will add a lot of files that you may not want. (They won't interfere with normal operation; they'll only clutter up the directory.)

2. Download and extract TrueType for WordPerfect from the link in the first post; put the files in a temporary directory.

3. In the temporary directory run TTINSTAL. Press Enter at the first screen.

4. At the INSTALLATION CHOICES screen choose "A DOS WordPerfect product (WP 5.0,5.1 ..."

5. In the DIRECTORY SELECTIONS screen, accept C:\WP51 as the DOS WordPerfect directory. In the TrueType font directory, enter C:\WP51\TRUETYPE. At the next screen, do not copy the sample files.

6. In the TRUETYPE FONT SET screen, you'll probably want to select "Monotype typefaces only" but it makes no difference to the result.

7. At the PRINTER TYPE SELECTION, choose HP LaserJet. In the AMOUNT OF MEMORY... choose 2.5 or more megabytes. In the SHARED OR... screen, choose Connected to this computer, and in the PRINTER PORT SELECTION choose LPT1. In the PRINTING PERFORMANCE PREFERENCE choose either; I use "I prefer faster...". Press Enter until you return to DOS.

8. At the DOS prompt in C:\WP51, enter TTWP. The Select Printer screen will appear; choose TTWP HP LaserJet 4. Press 1 to Select; accept the printer filename and press Enter. Press F7 until you get to the Print:Select Printer screen. TTWP HP LaserJet 4 should be highlighted. Press 1 to select. Press F7 until you exit WordPerfect.

9. At the DOS prompt, use an editor to edit C:\WP51\TTWP.CFG. Find the line that reads: Port1=LPT1. Edit that line by adding a comma and a path that will be used for the output print file, like this:

Port1=LPT1,C:\FOLDER\FILENAME.EXT

10. Save the TTWP.CFG file.

11. At the DOS prompt again, in C:\WP51, enter TTWP.

12. In the WordPerfect editing screen, type some text. Press Shift-F7 for the Print menu. Press F for Full Document. This returns you to the editing screen.

13. Press Shift-F7 again, then 4-Control Printer. Under 0.73 or 0.74, you should see Status: Printing, and that status never changes. Under 0.72, the print job will have completed successfully, and you should see Status: No print jobs (and the file you named in step 9 should now exist with the print output).

14a. Again, under 0.73 or 0.74, still in the Control Printer screen, if you press 1-Cancel jobs and try to cancel the job, WordPerfect (or DOSBox) will lock up and can only be closed by shutting down DOSBox.

OR

14b. Still under 0.73 or 0.74, still in the Control Printer screen, if you simply press Enter to return to the editing screen, without trying to cancel the print job, you can do so; you can then press F7 to exit WordPerfect. Answer yes to the "Cancel all print jobs" prompt. At the DOS prompt, you will see the "TTWP is still printing. Ctrl-C to cancel" prompt, and Ctrl-C will cancel. But the output file will not get written. It does get written under 0.72.

Is there any fix for this that might be possible with a patch to 0.74?

Last edited by emendelson on 2011-01-01, 16:45. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 4, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

0.72 might indeed have had a bug where we didn't have virtualized lpt devices.
Please remember that dosbox is for games and the MB6 build is not supported.

You are on your own as far as I concerned. I am seriously considering closing this thread.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 3 of 4, by emendelson

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I understand entirely.

Before you close the thread, may I ask if anyone knows of a working link to the 0.73 debug build? I realize I can build one myself if necessary, but I'd be grateful for a prebuilt one.

Reply 4 of 4, by emendelson

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I want to correct the wrong suggestion I made in an earlier post, that something went wrong between 0.72 and 0.73. As it turns out, 0.72, 0.73, and 0.74 behave identically when run with their default settings. The differences I saw were the result of using conf files were mismatched with their versions. So what I was reporting had nothing to with bugs, regression or anything else. I don't think there's anything more to be said on this topic, and I'll be perfectly happy if the moderators delete the whole thread.