VOGONS

First post, by Greyhawk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

UPDATE - Another installer based bug found in post #2

If using an actual floppy to install multi-disk game(In my case "Tie Fighter"), it can't find the 2nd disk because the search cache is still reporting the 1st disk. I know no way of quickly checking if the media changed, so the solution would be to empty the cache every FindFirst on "-t floppy" mounted drives. This can be done by:

Add the following to near the top of localDrive::FindFirst in drive_local.cpp:

if ( allocation.mediaid==0xF0 ) { EmptyCache(); } […]
Show full quote

if ( allocation.mediaid==0xF0 )
{
EmptyCache();
}

This fixes the installer for the disk version of "Tie Fighter", and possibly many other installers for multi-disk games.

I chose FindFirst because it is the same place the CD code check for changed media.

BTW, mediaid really should be enum'd.

Last edited by Greyhawk on 2003-10-31, 19:11. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 7, by Greyhawk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Tried installing X-wing, but couldn't get it to see disk 2. Turns out that it was a simple behavior issue with getting the volume name.

When a label isn't found, it should return an error, not "". Adding the following code fixes X-wing installer.

In the file "drive_local.cpp"
In the function "localDrive::FindFirst()"
Immediately after:

if ((sAttr & DOS_ATTR_VOLUME) && (*_dir==0)) {

add:

if ( strcmp(dirCache.GetLabel(), "") == 0 )
{
dos.errorcode = 0x02;
return false;
}

I'm guessing on the errorcode, since I couldn't find the exact behavior in my asm book or on the web. (X-wing doesn't care about the errorcode, just the CF)

Reply 4 of 7, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Yeah,

I thought of creating a keycombo that issued a rescan on all drives for that matter.

The cdrom things might be handy ?

Maybe something for finsterr ?

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 6 of 7, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dvwjr wrote:

Have your considered "CONTROL-C", just like DOS uses?

??? Wouldn't that be bad if you're installing a game and the installer quits when you hit Ctrl+C?

Reply 7 of 7, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have had a simmilar problem with mounting hdd folder as a floppy. I couldn't delete install.exe from the virtuall floppy after the installation process has begun and after it asked for a new floppy. I have solved it by copying all the floppies to the same folder before the installation.