VOGONS

Dosbox for Android OS

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 64, by Pickle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As a developer that has ported many software for open source devices (including dosbox) I think its total garbage to try to sell software that wasnt written yourself to begin with.
Its a total slap in the face of the person(s) who wrote it and devalues the work they did.

This has been a reoccurring issue mainly with emulators, someone puts in a ton of time to write software only to have someone compile it and sell it.
The reaction to this is going to be closed source emulators by the real authors.

If I were involved in the phone market the first thing i would do is recompile the package and upload it for free 😉

Reply 41 of 64, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What do you have to say about companies making huge money off of GPL software then? Like say Android itself which is obviously Linux. Or even many Unreal Engine games profiting from OGG Vorbis being free audio compression.

I think OSS will survive. Commercialization of OSS is somewhat unfortunate and yet enabling of innovation. Weird as that seems... Sometimes the projects even benefit. DOSBOX has seen some minor contributions from the companies that have used it.

But yeah I have been following the drama of the paid emulators that rip off OSS without even acknowledging where the software came from.

Reply 42 of 64, by Pickle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

yeah legally its the same situation, but I think those are the situations GPL intended for. Each of those cases there is significant value added with the purchase where with these emulator rebrandings the porter may have put in a couple days/weeks with work that many other could also do.

Reply 44 of 64, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bought this because it's the ONLY working DOSBox app that is practical. After a year of waiting, €3 seems worth it. To be fair to their team, converting it to a touch-screen device isn't all that straightforward - they'll need to make a lot of changes to make it practical and so far they did a reasonable job of it. I wish they had made it free for sure - but at least I get to have a proper DOSBox emulators on my phone which I often wanted.

Reply 46 of 64, by Xelasarg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

None of the other ports comes somewhere near to the quality AnDOSBox has reached so far, and that's the whole point. aDOSBox has just received a major update (e.g. implementation of Android's virtual keyboard) that looks very promising, but as with all other freeware ports, mouse emulation is still buggy and it's much slower in comparison.

So, even though I like freeware better (of course), as long as it's not outright forbidden (for legality's sake) and the devs put enough effort into it to justify taking money (for decency's sake), I fail to see a major problem here.

"What's a paladin?!"

Reply 48 of 64, by whyneed2register

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I've been checking this thread for some time since for me this will mean the possibility of really playing some old games. And I mean to really play them, since when I'm on the PC I really don't have the time for it. This way I could play them while waiting for the train/subway/etc.
The funny thing is that I don't even have an android phone, but I'm really excited about all this. I will buy a phone this or early next month.

As for the "commercial scheme" set by the andosbox I have to say I really don't agree with that at all. It's not fair for them to be cashing up on behalf of a work done 95% by dosbox devs.
I wouldn't mind at all paying 5 bucks if I knew the money reverted to dosbox devs. Maybe they'll fork andosbox 😁
It was also kind of sad reading that gog and steam do nothing more than complying with GPL. It would be more than fair for them to donate something for each game sold using dosbox...

Anyway, I'm just really posting here (with my ancient username) to know if there are further updates on this.

Reply 49 of 64, by Xelasarg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Updates have been coming quite frequently so far. The AnDOSBox devs have started working on a fully configurable gamepad style keyboard replacement, that should be quite useful for games like Wing Commander or Doom - which runs extremely well (i.e. smooth) btw.

I've tried overclocking my phone with nice results, SVGA games run fine up to 10000 cycles, VGA games up to 8500 cycles, frameskip set to 1, without sound stuttering.

And *yes*, all credit to the DOSBox team for my all-time favourite emulator (don't want wd to go and bite my head off 😉)

"What's a paladin?!"

Reply 50 of 64, by whyneed2register

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I didn't mean updates from AnDosBox, but I guess those are nice too.
I meant updates regarding the release of the source code by the DosBox devs :p
Is a fork in progress? 😀

Reply 51 of 64, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I think the thread tells it all...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 52 of 64, by Varka

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

http://code.google.com/p/andosbox-source/downloads/list

I uploaded the source package provided to me by the developer here, and attached it to this post.

I make no claims as to whether it will actually compile, I haven't even unrar'd the package since I received it about three weeks ago.

It may seem presumptuous of me, but I wanted to wait until the developer hit 500 paid downloads before I posted the source.

In the end, though, the code ultimately is 99% the work of someone else, and those developers (Dosbox development team) have made it clear by actions and words that they want their code to be freely available for anyone to use, so here it is!

Sorry for anyone I offended by any earlier posts, I honestly thought it would have been released by someone else by now. 🙁\

Also, if anyone wants the project name andosbox-source, I'll hand it over. I don't even know how to upload the actual code to google, I had to satisfy myself with just uploading the rar file.

Attachments

• Filename
    AnDosBox_1.1.0.rar
    File size
    1.52 MiB
    Downloads
    1772 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 54 of 64, by Ryom

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
swaaye wrote:

I bought the AnDOSBOX port. It does work very well. I played Master of Orion on it for a few hours yesterday and it works excellent.

I'm having trouble getting Master of Orion to run with AnDosbox on my Motorola Xoom... what settings did you use to get it working?

Reply 55 of 64, by Xelasarg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Try the attached dosbox.conf (put in the the root directory of your sdcard). Don't forget to change the path mountings in the [autoexec] section so they point to your game dir. I can confirm MoO works with these settings, although it should also run with the defaults; most of my changes are quite unnecessary.

I also use a batch file that contains the following settings to start the game:

cycles 8500
frameskip 1
cd orion
orion
cd\

Configure hardware options before you run the game (i.e. set Soundblaster irq to 5) and you're good to go.
And I'd suggest you either activate the "Better Mouse" option in settings or use "Pen" as input mode.

Attachments

• Filename
    dosbox.conf
    File size
    864 Bytes
    Downloads
    397 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

"What's a paladin?!"

Reply 56 of 64, by yahma

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nope.. The sources do not compile. There are several missing C++ files.

Seems like since the author is linking directly to DosBOX and libSDL, he would be required to release FULL sources. Can you upload the latest 1.1.9 sources please, and I'll check them?

Thanks

Varka wrote:
http://code.google.com/p/andosbox-source/downloads/list […]
Show full quote

http://code.google.com/p/andosbox-source/downloads/list

I uploaded the source package provided to me by the developer here, and attached it to this post.

I make no claims as to whether it will actually compile, I haven't even unrar'd the package since I received it about three weeks ago.

It may seem presumptuous of me, but I wanted to wait until the developer hit 500 paid downloads before I posted the source.

In the end, though, the code ultimately is 99% the work of someone else, and those developers (Dosbox development team) have made it clear by actions and words that they want their code to be freely available for anyone to use, so here it is!

Sorry for anyone I offended by any earlier posts, I honestly thought it would have been released by someone else by now. 🙁\

Also, if anyone wants the project name andosbox-source, I'll hand it over. I don't even know how to upload the actual code to google, I had to satisfy myself with just uploading the rar file.

Reply 58 of 64, by yahma

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Looking through the sources, its apparent why anDosbox is faster than the regular dosbox, there is a default FRAMESKIP of 2 hardcoded, also, in the cpu loop, there it skips 50 cpu cycles.. There are a few other hacks, that definitely will cause compatability to suffer.. Can someone post the latest 1.1.9 sources, so that I can try to backport these hacks to aDosBox?