VOGONS

First post, by tomaswoj

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi All,

while browsing through various threads on this forum i stepped into some that indicate, there is no significant speedup (in general, not for some specific games or demos) when using dynrec for ARM. Also some opinions that VerySimple core (Boris Letoha) is merely the Simple core from Dosbox 0.73/0.74. Are these opinions/views more or less correct?

I'm just trying to figure out, how to speed up the Android port, and wonder if picking up verysimple core may have any sense.

Also does anyone know any reliable benchmarking tool for DOS? I tried to use SPEED.exe (Landmark), but it seems to 'cheat'. I mean, i can easily see, that on cycles=1400 i get quite a nice speedup in games comparing to let say over-cycling at 5000-6000.. But Landmark reports, that 5000-6000 is much much better CPU than 1400 CPU. This is in conflict with some obvious hiccups in games when i run it at 5000, comparing to when i run it at 1400.

Thanks for any hints/suggestions/comments.
Cheers
tomaswoj

Reply 1 of 1, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you get hiccups in games at 5000, maybe your CPU isn't fast enough?

5000 certainly is a much better setting for most early 1990s DOS games.

Try 3000 or 4000 and see how it goes.

A good benchmark is 3dbench, there is thread in the MARVIN section (3dbench database) which has the files.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel