VOGONS

First post, by The NeverGone

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hy...

I can't working something projects, but i would some questions.
DosEmu ( http://www.dosemu.org/ ) older project, and lately not develop,
but good...
DosBox ( http://dosbox.sf.net/ ) new project, lots of new features...

Maybe working together, one collective projects...

The NeverGone 😀

Reply 8 of 10, by James Paige

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, allow me to repeat myself.
That is a SILLY IDEA. DOSBox already does all of what DOSEMU does and more.

I agree that combinging dosbox and dosemu is a silly idea, but dosemu does do some very important things that dosbox cannot.

The most important of these is running text-mode DOS business applications inside a terminal.

The company I work for uses several very old text-mode DOS applications for accoutning and for inventory control. These are good programs that do everything we need them to do, except that networking them is painfully difficult because of their obsolescence.

However, we discovered that if we ran them in dosemu on a GNU/Linux server, we could connect to the applications remotely from OpenSSH or PuTTY. This breathed life into the old applications. Instead of being forced to upgrade to bulky complex expensive windows-based software, dosemu allowed us to transform our old DOS apps into secure internet apps.

Dosbox fills a "games" niche, and dosemu fills a "business" niche (whether the dosemu devlopers realize it or not)

Reply 9 of 10, by elektroschock

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sure, dosbox is a very nice tool. It is fast, it is simple, a small package, it can easily be configured. And Dos applications work as well. Yesterday i tried Qbasic with it. Turbo Pacal written text mode apps have to be improved, they are not first choice. Dosbox will further be improved.

Dosbox: Installation shall be easier. Dosbox should create a Dos slot in our home directory by default and mount it.

There is probably a market for Dosemu too.

Reply 10 of 10, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This is what OpenSource is for....If you want DosBox to be something else you "simply" program in what you want. Currently DosBox only runs DOS games......hopefully it may eventually run Windows 3.x...which will lead to Windows games. Mabye this will lead DosBox into branching into a full-fledged emulator....mabye not. It all depends on who is interested enough to do so.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline