VOGONS

Fluidsynth soundfont patch

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 84, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

It does sound as if lukeman has a dependency from somewhere else. Maybe from another dosbox built.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 41 of 84, by Laukku

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
lukeman3000 wrote:
After I got home I downloaded your fluidsynth build onto my desktop and tried to run dosbox.exe. This is the error message I rec […]
Show full quote
Yesterplay80 wrote:

Yes and yes! ☺

After I got home I downloaded your fluidsynth build onto my desktop and tried to run dosbox.exe. This is the error message I received:

xjcqcEC.png

I get the same error. The non-fluidsynth ECE build works fine. I have a 64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium SP1.

My YouTube account, with miscellanous DOS game stuff: http://www.youtube.com/user/LaukkuTheGreit

Reply 42 of 84, by lukeman3000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Yesterplay80 wrote:
I don't have any idea why it asks for this file on your machine. I just tried my build on a completely new install of Windows 7 […]
Show full quote

I don't have any idea why it asks for this file on your machine. I just tried my build on a completely new install of Windows 7 in a VM and it ran right from the start without asking for any other DLLs. I even searched the entire HDD for this file to make sure it isn't installed. So the problem doesn't seem to come from DOSBox. Maybe you already have another version of any of the provided DLLs installed that is looking for a libiconv-2.dll? Just in case, I'll attach the file it is looking for, just copy it in the DOSBox directory where you extraxted my build into.

libiconv-2.7z

Does someone else have this this error, too?

UPDATE: It works on a fresh Windows 10 x64 as well here.

After trying with the attached file, I now get this message:

3ORXNif.png

Reply 43 of 84, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't get it. I reinstalled my notebook (W10 x64) yesterday, from scratch. Tried DOSBox and it worked without having to addd anything.
However, try this version of the dll, please:

Filename
libiconv-2.7z
File size
507.21 KiB
Downloads
181 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

My full-featured DOSBox SVN builds for Windows & Linux: Vanilla DOSBox and DOSBox ECE (Google Drive Mirror)

Reply 44 of 84, by lukeman3000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Yesterplay80 wrote:

I don't get it. I reinstalled my notebook (W10 x64) yesterday, from scratch. Tried DOSBox and it worked without having to addd anything.
However, try this version of the dll, please:

libiconv-2.7z

Gives me the same error message

Reply 45 of 84, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Please try the attached DOSBox.exe, I created it using other header files and dugans modified patch:

Filename
DOSBox.7z
File size
1.61 MiB
Downloads
173 downloads
File license

My full-featured DOSBox SVN builds for Windows & Linux: Vanilla DOSBox and DOSBox ECE (Google Drive Mirror)

Reply 46 of 84, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tried to get FluidLite working, I could compile a binary as well, but when using fluidsynth as midi device, the music won't play. I think this is because FluidLite doesn't put out the audio to a specific driver but the application it is compiled with. Could someone maybe provide a patch to change the existing one(s) to work with FluidLite? It has several improvements over the "old" FluidSynth, like being a static library, not having all those dependencies FluidSynth has, and even SF3 support (OGG encoded SoundFonts).

Reply 47 of 84, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

yes, that sounds neat (can't help with getting it to work, though)

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 48 of 84, by hail-to-the-ryzen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Attached fluidsynth dll binary + patch. Based on version 116 without glib dependency:
https://github.com/kirbyfan64/fluidsynth

Additional changes include those derived from above posts and:
https://github.com/FluidSynth/fluidsynth

User takes responsibility for any testing of contents.

Attachments

• Filename
    fluidsynth-noGlib-bin.zip
    File size
    144.93 KiB
    Downloads
    182 downloads
    File comment
    fluidsynth dll binary without glib dependency + patch
    File license

Reply 49 of 84, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Thanks. Sounds as if you didn’t include the source, please add it.

Reply 51 of 84, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I'm not sure under what license Fluidsynth is, but at least for GPL, a patch is not enough. So, please just add an archive with the full source you used for making this binary.
And don't get me wrong, I appreciate you doing this, I really do. But I do stand for this part of the GPL, mostly because I see the practical side of this. If you provide the source as well, it is likely that anyone can compile it even in a few years. A patch might be dead by then because you don't necessarily know for which git commit it was valid or the repository is long gone by then.

Reply 52 of 84, by hail-to-the-ryzen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The source code for the kirbyfan64 branch is here:
https://github.com/kirbyfan64/fluidsynth/arch … lib_removal.zip

Downloaded the archive from that above link and attached it without modification. The patch in the archive I posted above is applied to this code. Also, verified that it applies without error.

Attachments

• Filename
    fluidsynth-glib_removal.zip
    File size
    738.76 KiB
    Downloads
    148 downloads
    File comment
    kirbyfan64 branch of fluidsynth
    File license

Reply 54 of 84, by FulValBot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've tried to set Mididevice=fluidsynth and Midiconfig=dsound:Roland SC-55.sf2.sf2 (tried with and without that space and also with only one .sf2, same issue...) but mixer/listmidi show nothing and music is missing...

In official site of DOSBox ECE i see that there is a file named bassmidrv.exe; is required?

Last edited by FulValBot on 2019-01-17, 23:41. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 55 of 84, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
FulValBot wrote:

I've tried to set Mididevice=fluidsynth and Midiconfig=dsound:Roland SC-55.sf2.sf2 (tried with and without that space and also with only one .sf2, same issue...) but mixer/listmidi show nothing and music is missing...

/listmidi only lists the devices when mididevice is either default or win32, it doesn't work with fluidsynth. There would be nothing to list anyway, if fluidsynth is selected, there are no other midi emulators running besides it.

Leave the value for midiconfig blank and enter the filename of your soundfont as value for fluid.soundfont (e.g. fluid.soundfont="SF2\Roland SC-55.sf2"), the path is relative to the location of the DOSBox.exe.

FulValBot wrote:

In official site of DOSBox ECE isee that there is a file named bassmidrv.exe; is required?

No, BassMIDI is just another MIDI software synth for Windows that has to be installed separately.

Reply 57 of 84, by realnc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
FulValBot wrote:

Ok it works now, but i think that is metallic... i don't know if is intended (i don't know SC-55)

That soundfont isn't that good IMO, at least with fluidsynth. I've tried it with fluidsynth and it indeed sounds metallic and sometimes way too loud. You should probably get the 3.2MB canvas soundfont instead (Scc1t2.sf2). It doesn't sound as broken.

Reply 58 of 84, by Kisai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hmm I used the most recent ECE based on 4259 and noticed that when the internal recording is used, the midi rendered output from fluidsynth is now missing.

Now while I do see a potential usefulness of that, in maybe being able to record the music-alone to a file, the intended output is to have the sound and music in the output avi file. As the settings appear to be different from how fluidsynth was patched into mine, is there a different way to specify a driver of like "internal" or something?

In the old fluidsynth dosbox patched versions, it simply rendered the music into the audio buffer like the MT32 driver does.

Reply 59 of 84, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kisai wrote:

Hmm I used the most recent ECE based on 4259 and noticed that when the internal recording is used, the midi rendered output from fluidsynth is now missing.
In the old fluidsynth dosbox patched versions, it simply rendered the music into the audio buffer like the MT32 driver does.

Definitely not, your memory must play tricks on you there. Fluidsynth in ECE always worked via an external dll file, therefore the MIDI sound could never be recorded directly in the avi while using the built-in recording function. Either you used an external recording tool like OBS, or you used another MIDI playback option or even another DOSBox build before.