VOGONS

First post, by ChaosFish

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was wondering.
Can it be possible to make something like the option to press Alt+F12 (or whatever other keys) to save all dosbox status: DOSBox RAM, etc. and then after you start DOSBox again just press Alt+F11 to get back the saved status? Many old games doesn't have a saving system, so that would be fantastic!

Thanks for you time,
-ChaosFish

Reply 2 of 11, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

😜

it has been asked many times.....
But the short answer is not soon.

I personally don't like it as it is simply cheating.
I don't like savestates in other emulators as well.

But It is in our to do list. But not sure if it ever makes it. As it's far more complex than a simple console emulator. and be prepared for 50 mb savestates.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 3 of 11, by icemann

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I`ve always liked save states myself. Helps out ALOT when your trying to test out things (change of settings to improve game performance etc). I do also use it simply as a save method also. But its great just to have that option when I NEED it.

Some games are downright impossible at times, and things like save states are absolutely essential. Whether or not individuals like or not (as its seen as cheating) should not be a reason for it to not be implemented.

Two stones, two crosses, the rest is just icing. - 7th Guest

Reply 7 of 11, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

In the current design of dosbox it's very hard near impossible to do.

That's because it's hard to recreate the call stack of the cpu cores.
This is because of the fact that the shell is merged into dosbox instead of seperated. The shell can therefore starts it's own cpu core. (more than 1 cpu core is working at the sametime. Quite hard to recreate that from a savefile i think.

Not to mention file changes. Those will be horrible.

Anyway. Don't count on it happening soon. I think we should go for more compatibility and more speed first.

Anyway I'll stick with this if the game is too hard for you:
1. don't play it.
2. get better.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 9 of 11, by ChaosFish

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

And how about games like "Robocod", which is implanted from consoles, and stupidly don't have a saving system, although you can't possibly finish them at one time?

Reply 10 of 11, by icemann

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If its a console game in origin then I`d HIGHLY recommend that you go and either download or grab a copy of the console version (if its a cd-based game) then run it through an emulator. Generally games that first were designed for consoles play ALOT better on those rather than the PC (Silent Hill, Final Fantasy 7 etc).

Two stones, two crosses, the rest is just icing. - 7th Guest