VOGONS

First post, by _Monk_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey!

I am new here. I have come to the conclusion that it's impossible to open DOSBox (fullscreen) in one resolution, and then render the graphics at another.

I -might- be mistaken, but after a lot of trying and always failing, and asking about it in IRC, there's not much doubt that DOSBox actually always stretches the graphics, if the fullscreen resolution itself isn't 320x200.

I have a curious situation, wherein I am utilizing a custom-made VGA to SCART cable, which is only capable of showing certain resolutions (352x256 is the most usable one of the working ones).

Now, my feature request is that if DOSBox could open a fullscreen screen in 352x256 (or any custom resolution for that matter), but render the graphics "as is", without any scaling/stretching (someone in IRC insisted that scaling and stretching are different things, so I am trying to accomodate that point of view), which would mean that hires screens, such as the text-based DOS-screen itself, would not fit fully on the screen, but games like Doom would run perfectly, without any scaled / stretched graphics/graphical data - every pixel would be there, no 'extra' pixels would be added - it would be perfect.

So, we would have games like Doom, running in 320x200 on a 352x256 resolution screen which would mean that there would be a little bit of unused space (a centering option for this might be also user-friendly, as the TV tends to hide part of the graphics because of it's nature, so to say) - and running a 640x480 text screen or Windows 3.1 (or whatever) on it would mean that only part of the graphics are shown (and perhaps you could scroll it around with the cursor, or not - but at least you would have the option of having pure, non-stretched/non-scaled graphics in custom resolutions). But the point would be that all the pixels of 320x200 games would be there, and no extra pixels would be added.

Just a request, no demands or anything - just a thought .. as long as DOSBox is allowing custom resolutions and it's allowing fullscreen modes and all sort of scaling/stretching/filtering options, why not include the obvious; "Unprocessed, unfiltered, unstretched, unscaled graphics in any resolution"?

Thanks for your time!

Sincerely,

- Monk

Reply 1 of 6, by frobme

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just a request, no demands or anything - just a thought .. as long as DOSBox is allowing custom resolutions and it's allowing fullscreen modes and all sort of scaling/stretching/filtering options, why not include the obvious; "Unprocessed, unfiltered, unstretched, unscaled graphics in any resolution"?

DosBox can only open resolutions that your card directly supports, get reported through DirectX, and SDL sees as usable.

It's quite possible your card no longer reports 320x240 or 352x256 as possible modes to DirectX - these were palette modes, and many cards no longer natively support palette modes but use a translation lookup table from their 16bit or 32bit modes. Mine (an Nvidia 480) doesn't currently report these via the DirectX caps viewer in the DX SDK.

However, part of your post I don't understand. If set fullscreen to true, set your scalar to none, and your resolution to what you want (640x480 maybe) dosbox will draw the image in a 320x240 (or 352x256) area of the screen. It doesn't force it to stretch.

-Frob

Reply 4 of 6, by Miki Maus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It would be nice to have the ability to force square pixels (at least in windowed mode) for any resolution/mode game sets. Also to expand on that idea, ability to force any pixel ratio.