VOGONS

First post, by jcdutton

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am thinking of used some of the source code from the DOSBOX application for my project called revenge. It will be done research into reverse engineering and decompiling.
I will only be taking some .c files from the project and using them only as a template.
Are the authors of this DOSBOX project happy with this sort of use of their source code? I don't want to upset anyone.

revenge: reverse engineering and decompiling.

Reply 3 of 6, by jcdutton

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I know it was GPL, and that by making something GPL you are encouraging the sort of thing I am planning to do, as long as I also release under GPL.

Having said this. I previously cut and pasted sections of someone's GPL code, I left in references to their original code, and they became very annoyed about the cut and paste action. I do not want to get into that situation again.

Cheers
James

Reply 4 of 6, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I'm not sure if the cpu core of dosbox is the best part (for your operation/project)

I suggest that you compile dosbox with --enable-debug switch to configure
and start dosbox afterwards from an Xterm
Then you see a debugger that might be more related to your project than a full cpu decoder.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 5 of 6, by damien

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jcdutton wrote:

Having said this. I previously cut and pasted sections of someone's GPL code, I left in references to their original code, and they became very annoyed about the cut and paste action. I do not want to get into that situation again.

The people you took the code from are obviously idiots then.

If they had a problem with what you did, then they should have chosen a different license to the GPL.