VOGONS

First post, by oRiCN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Haveing a Dual CPU machine it'd be nice if DosBox could take advantage of both CPU's 😉

Now that must be a big request 😀

PS, I should probably mention that I'm running DosBox on my Mac and not the PC.

Last edited by oRiCN on 2003-11-25, 00:45. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 11, by Harekiet

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

dosbox already does multithreading with graphics updates being done in another thread, but that's about the only thing you can do with it.

Reply 2 of 11, by icemann

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

From what I`ve been reading about Multi-threading, its not that great anyway. Works in the exact same way that windows does multi-tasking.

Alot of the older games don't support it either.

Last edited by icemann on 2003-11-26, 23:31. Edited 1 time in total.

Two stones, two crosses, the rest is just icing. - 7th Guest

Reply 3 of 11, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

You are mixing two things. Of course more processors help with more threads.
Another thing is the current Intel's technology when one processor present itself as two virtual processors. This just saves windows overhead in switching threads.

Mirek

Reply 4 of 11, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Harekiet wrote:

dosbox already does multithreading with graphics updates being done in another thread, but that's about the only thing you can do with it.

Interesting. Any idea of how much of a performance boost it gives? Say, comparing one 2ghz to two 2ghz, or something like that. To raise the cycles by 10% in a demanding game?

I'm fully aware of it's a bit stupid thing to ask since it varies from game to game but, erm, I'm interested in some kind of answer anyway 😜

Reply 5 of 11, by zorach

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Freddo wrote:

Interesting. Any idea of how much of a performance boost it gives?

On a dual PIII 933 system, running Wing Commander II under 0.63 with cycles=5000, top reports about 70% CPU usage from one dosbox thread and 0.4% from the other (this is in combat). Of course, top is notoriously unreliable under 2.4, but that should give you some idea.

The real benefit of dually is that the processor which isn't sweating under DOSBox can keep other stuff running 😀

Reply 10 of 11, by joe_pool_is

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just a bit of FYI: I compiled 0.63 with the Runtime Libraries option set to Single-Thread in Visual C++ .NET 2003. When I ran DosBox, I got the Command Prompt window to display, but that was it. Since the DOS window remained open, I make a quick inspection of the process using Task Manager to see that it was still running but not using any CPU time.

I recompiled with the Runtime Libraries set to Multi-Threading, and DosBox ran as expected. I have not intimately investigated the code, but I suspect Multi-Threading is still used ...somewhere!

Wanted: Gasoline and matches.

Reply 11 of 11, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

dosbox itself doesn't use multithreading anymore.
maybe sdl does (it does on linux for audio)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!