VOGONS

First post, by Harry Potter

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Recently, I've been working alot on compressing files on my computer, mainly using WinMount, which you can probably find at freewarefiles.com. However, when I try to mount a compressed archive file, DOSBox stops working, whether it's accessing the drive or not. The symptom is that it starts up with the banner then exits. When I use the -noconsole switch, stdout.txt displays two lines of code which don't reveal an error message. I really want to compress these DOS games and am disappointed that I can't do so. I have UPX to compress executables. How else can I compress the games until--and if--the bug gets fixed?

Joseph Rose, a.k.a. Harry Potter
Working magic in the computer community

Reply 1 of 8, by Zorbid

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If your partition is partitioned in NTFS, you can use NTFS compression.

Right click on the folder -> properties. In the "General" tab, click the "advanced" button and enable compression. When clicking "Ok" to close the main properties window, you'll be prompted to apply the changes recursively. Opt in.

Done 😀.

The data is compressed, yet the folder works as a normal one.

Reply 3 of 8, by Harry Potter

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

NTFS compression can be used to compress folders and files, but I find other techniques beter. That's why I tried to use WinMount. As for calling it a bug, I still call it a bug and would at least like DOSBox to support compression. BTW: how do I use DOS disk images?

Joseph Rose, a.k.a. Harry Potter
Working magic in the computer community

Reply 5 of 8, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Could it be that WinMount does not allow writing to the virtual disk?

You may want to try out one of the special DOSBox builds supporting PhysFS (YKHWong's or Gulikoza's) which can mount (7)zip files directly.