VOGONS

A little compression and RAM drive

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Harry Potter

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I understand that I can use WinMount to use compressed archives as drives. I also understand that I can use a Win32-based RAM drive for quick access to data. However, I'd like to see such functionality within DOSBox. Anybody agree?

Joseph Rose, a.k.a. Harry Potter
Working magic in the computer community

Reply 3 of 7, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You posted the same stuff already in RAMrives, compression and function keys for DOSBox? .

I for one cannot see any point to a RAM drive in DOSBox, as disk access speeds are likely already vastly improved over what you would get on genuine hardware from the DOS era.

Reply 5 of 7, by Harry Potter

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do the DOS ramdisk utils not work?

Most DOS ramdisks load from config.sys, and those that don't may interfere with DOSBox's drive mounting approach. I will try XMSDSK now and get back to you.

I for one cannot see any point to a RAM drive in DOSBox

A RAMdisk shouldn't improve speed much in this case, but it might minimize drive clutter. Besides that, I like RAMdrives. 😀

Reply 6 of 7, by Harry Potter

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry, I meant FURD19_i, available at http://www.resoo.org/docs/dos/free_software/disk2.htm. Look under OTHER DISK UTILS. I tried it. The XMS version broke with a divide error and the EMS version locked up. (No text displayed on the screen and I didn't get the command prompt back.)