VOGONS

S40 Dosbox?

Topic actions

First post, by Doraemon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Anyone thinking to make a S40 version of dosbox?
Since there are still many people that not rich...
Hopefully anyone pro in java can write on it...
There are some s40 dosbox i found on internet,
1 is called "JPC (Sourceforge)" and another one is called as "Mobile DOS (Mobile9.com)"
but "JPC" required 10mb java heap (most of s40 phone only have about 1~2mb), and "Mobile DOS" only run BASIC program but not EXE...
so people that doesn't have s60 can run some basic DOS game too...
so really hopefully someone can write it 😀

Reply 1 of 10, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

S40 is not really fast enough for dosbox... even if it was it would only be limited to java....

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3 of 10, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Doraemon wrote:

Since there are still many people that not rich...

DOSBox works fine on Athlon XP and above computers.

Use a computer for DOSBox, not a phone. Then you don't have to be "rich".

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 10, by dada

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If Dosbox can't run properly on a phone then JPC surely isn't going to, either. It's a nice emulator but it's not nearly as optimized as Dosbox is. Besides that it has major compatibility problems.

Reply 6 of 10, by dada

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Get a 9" Netbook. Or a PSP, it can run Dosbox and play EGA games decently (not really VGA though, last I checked, they're too slow). Either way, the only way you're gonna run DOS games on your phone is if you wait about 7 years for them to become fast enough.

Reply 7 of 10, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

dosbox has been ported to java

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 9 of 10, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've tried the native S60 executable of DOSBox on my S60 phone and it was too slow to do run pretty much every DOS game made after 1992. Running a java version on a S40 phone would be several times slower, and therefore rather pointless and not really worth the effort.

Reply 10 of 10, by Xelasarg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Absolutely impossible. S40 phones aren't even powerful enough to run a native DOSBox port.
Get yourself a fast and cheap Android phone (e.g. Samsung Vibrant), those are powerful enough to run modern classics like Doom or Ultima Underworld.

"What's a paladin?!"