VOGONS

First post, by Yushatak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I set up a nice clean MingW/MSYS environment to compile in, and set up SDL, then tried to compile. It wants a library from DX that isn't included. So I install the DX SDK, and include it, and try again. No? So I get a ".a" copy of the ".lib" files, since apparently MS formats changed at some point and they can't be used directly. Still doesn't work. Tried several locations to put it, refuses to acknowledge that it exists. Tried running the compilation from a pre-made environment for compiling MAME, which has the same SDL and D3D dependencies - nope.

File in question is libd3dx9.a, BTW.

Anybody have any idea? I think the most relevant people would be Gulikoza or ykhwong, but anybody who has any idea..

Reply 1 of 6, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

MinGW can't use MS lib files. But reimp utility can create a suitable import library from MS lib. "For MinGW, copy DxSDK include files to some MinGW reachable directory and convert d3dx9.lib (type 'reimp d3dx9.lib', reimp utility is part of mingw-utils package) so it can be used by MinGW."

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza

Reply 2 of 6, by Yushatak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes I know - I read the info on your site and others about that, but reimp informs me that it's an invalid or corrupt file, when I know it's fresh from the SDK, which checks itself/etc.

There are alternative ways to turn a lib into an "a" file, and alternative sources for premade versions of MinGW compatible libraries for DX, both of which are mysteriously ignored by MinGW.

Reply 5 of 6, by Yushatak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That was my next plan, to try the Feb SDK rather than the June, but a pack of premade libs sounds way easier - 🤣.

Thank you ykhwong. :3

Edit: OMFG it still says it can't find libd3dx9. 😳

Reply 6 of 6, by Yushatak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Okay I've got this sorted finally.

Problem was: using the non-SVN source. I was trying to compile the source from ykhwong, and it's apparently based on a bit older SVN, at least the autotools-related files. They break the compilation process in such a way as it can't find things properly. I then tried to compile the source from the front page, and it failed - looking up those errors I found only one or two references to it and DOSBox but it gave me the info I needed. I found a patch for it that Qbix said in a comment he'd applied to the SVN. Thus I downloaded a recent SVN tarball and it compiled just fine. I then applied the d3d patch and it compiled fine too.

Take-home lesson: until the tarballs and such are updated for more recent autotools, stick with older autotools or make sure you've got recent relevant files.

Thanks for the help, as well, guys.

(It'd been quite a while since I last built DOSBox on Windows.. back when I tried to solve the touchscreen+SDL problem on the DOSBox end..).