VOGONS

First post, by ar101

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I posted this on another thread, but I see the thread is 5 years old, so I figured I'd put it over her. Basically, I was wondering about passing data between an application in VBDOS (running under DOSBox) and a Windows application. I was thinking about putting a trapdoor in DOSBox that could transfer control to a WIndows application. In the DOSBox source code, I think I see where it intercepts internal commands. In "dos_programs.cpp" they have them all in a row, with lines like:

PROGRAMS_MakeFile("IMGMOUNT.COM", IMGMOUNT_ProgramStart);

It seems to be intercepting the command "IMGMOUNT.COM" from the command line and then transferring control to the function "IMGMOUNT_ProgramStart ()". So seems like I could drop in an extra command there, which could transfer control to another Windows app. Not sure what kind of side effects it would have, but seems like that would work.

I think it would be cool to be able to make a .Net Class of DOSBox, so that I could instantiate it as an object. Like:

DIM MyDOSBOX AS DOSBox
MyDOSBOX = new DOSBOX ("config.txt")

The constructor would run DOSBox, and then the trapdoor would suspend DOSBox and return control to the calling application. And then the application could transfer control back to DOSBox, and back and fortth.

That way, a .Net application could have subroutines that were written in VBDOS.

I'm wondering if this sort of thing already exists, or if anybody else has any opinion on the subject

Reply 1 of 4, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

It's not really difficult. I've experimented with various things in my local codebase (clipboard sharing, mouse copy/paste, running applications on the host, etc)
Except it has nothing to do with games which is the sole target of DOSBox.

Your .Net class might be cool for you, but is most likely totally useless for us. We only care about games and discourage/disrecommend the use of dosbox for (mission critical) applications.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 4, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Qbix you are a tease 😉

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 4, by ar101

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ah I see, DOSBox is not purposed for building software. Well, I wonder if it's possible to 'launch host applications/transfer data to host' from within VMWare or VirtualBox? (Or to create a .Net Class with those.) Any thoughts on that?