VOGONS

First post, by NovaCoder

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hiya,

Just ported 0.74 over to classic 68k Amiga 😎

It seems to work ok but it's very slow, I really need to a 68k JIT core to get the speed up to a playable level.

Does anyone know if DosBox was ported to any other 68k CPU's (for example Atari ST)?

Reply 1 of 17, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Crazyness 😉

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 17, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
NovaCoder wrote:

I really need to a 68k JIT core

I accidentally a 68k JIT core... is it dangerous? 🙁

Kidding aside, that's impressive, would love to see at least a youtube vid or somesuch.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 4 of 17, by NovaCoder

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, I've ported ScummVM over to Classic Amiga already, it took a lot of work but I got there in the end -> Full Throttle

I think DosBox will take even more effort to get it running at an acceptable speed unfortunately. I'm not aiming for 486 performance (this is 20 year old hardware!) but I'll be happy if I can get it to run as fast as my old 386.

Reply 5 of 17, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Which 68k CPU do you have in mind? Not the original 68000?
A 386DX seems to be roughly as fast as a 68020 so even with JIT you'd need a much faster CPU to emulate the whole system.

You could try and see which performance you get in DOSBox with a fast 486 or a slow Pentium 1. I suppose it is not possible to reach that level of performance with an 68k CPU even with JIT.

Reply 6 of 17, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I know when i was still using my Atari ST a lot, you needed a hardware device to get good DOS emulation. Software emulators were really slow. I doubt you'll be getting even full 4.77mhz 8088 speed in software on a 68000.

What I would like to see, though, is DOSBox on a fast 68040 like a Mac Quadra 840AV if that hasn't been done already.

Reply 8 of 17, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Considering DOSBox can barely run the CGA era at a playable speed on PENTIUM 5 MACHINES (100mhz-200mhz) I wish you luck on getting it to work on lesser.

(hope this doesn't inspire a stupid genesis port 😀

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 9 of 17, by Alegend45

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That's probably because the PC has an enormously complicated architecture (even the 5150). So much so, that even on a Pentium 4, it would probably be slow as shit to emulate it all correctly. This is why JSLinux doesn't do the full PC.

Reply 11 of 17, by NovaCoder

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

DosBox AGA running DOTT on a real Amiga

Work continues to develop a native 68k dynamic core, when it's ready this sucker may actually be usable 😎

Reply 13 of 17, by NovaCoder

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

We've actually hit a bit of sang, it seems there are some bugs in the DosBox Dyna core code, we cannot really move this port forward until they are addressed.

Dyna bugs

Hopefully one of the DosBox devs will be able to help us out so we can finish this port to Amiga Classics.

Reply 14 of 17, by NovaCoder

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Work on the 68k dyna core has stopped so it looks like this will be a failed port 😵

I've done my best to optimize it but without a dyna core it's still dead slow. I've released the full source code of the Amiga port some maybe someone will pick it up again one day.

This is a video of how it runs on a real Amiga using the 'Simple' core.

Amiga DOSBox 0.74

Reply 15 of 17, by NovaCoder

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I thought I'd release my final version of DOSBox AGA, this version has been further optimized (hacked) by removing support for 486 and 586 CPU's.

It's still very slow but it might be possible to play some of the older PC games.

Latest YouTube demo

When we ever get a super fast FPGA CPU then this emulator will be totally awesome for Amiga users 😀

Last edited by NovaCoder on 2015-12-03, 22:17. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 17 of 17, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

excellent as always NovaCoder, Vampire here we come 😁

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website