VOGONS

First post, by FreeFall

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I apologize if this is an old issue. I've tried two different USB digital joysticks with DOSBox on my Windows 7 64-bit machine (Logitech Wingman Extreme Digital 3D and Logitech Extreme Digital 3D Pro). The former technically is not supported in Windows 7, so I bought the latter thinking this was a Windows driver issue. In both cases, the behavior is the same. They both work, but by having them plugged in, DOSBox experiences erratic performance and skipping. I've observed this in two games: Falcon 3.0 and X-Wing. As soon as I unplug the joystick from the USB port, DOSBox and the games are completely normal.

The odd thing is that a couple of times, it has worked correctly. There was nothing that I changed in DOSBox's options that effected the change. When the joystick(s) gets in this good state, it persists until I either unplug it or restart DOSBox... I'm not really sure which, since it hasn't happened often enough for my to fully characterize it.

Is this a known issue? I have a Windows XP machine with DOSBox, and using the same joysticks, I have 0 problems. They work great. It's only on this Windows 7 64-bit machine. The new machine is also a much, much newer quad core, as compared to the older dual core that the Windows XP machine is. Not sure if that's the issue or not.

Any help is appreciated!

Reply 1 of 2, by FreeFall

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'll add that when the issue is occuring, it's cyclical. DOSBox, and the game, 'stutters' along for a few seconds than it comes out of the state runs smoothly for a few seconds and then begins stuttering once more.

Reply 2 of 2, by FreeFall

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just to close the loop, this turned out to be a hardware issue with my laptop. Oddly, whenever I close the lid, let it go into sleep mode, and then wake the laptop back up, the issue disappears. It's some USB hardware issue which I don't care to troubleshoot further, but in case anyone else has a similar issue, this work around is worth a try.