VOGONS

First post, by Darkfalz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Do you think eventually DOSBox, thought it should certainly keep its internal DOS-like OS, will properly emulate a PC to the point where you could install and use say, DOS 6.22 on it?

Or is this not planned? I tried to get BOCHS working at some stage but it was just a no go.

Reply 1 of 3, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I doubt it. This would be completely different concept to current DOSBOX. The current DOSBOX does not contain real DOS - all DOS functions are emulated. Running real DOS would require to emulate on hardware level the whole computer... There is quite a big difference here. And as you can see on Bochs, it is not an easy task to do.
If somebody wants to emulate PC completely, I would recommend him to go work on DOSBOX. I am certain they would welcome help.

Mirek

Reply 2 of 3, by Harekiet

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

well if your target OS is only dos then it might be slightly easier since you only have to emulate the bios functiosn dos uses to access the harddrive, emuating actual harddrive controllers and shit is a bit overkill and wouldn't really work together with the emulated bios we're using now.

Reply 3 of 3, by Darkfalz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, no need to run Windows, just DOS 6.22.

I did get Bochs working, and installed DOS 6.22 on it. It was a trip! If Bochs is optimised more for speed and game playing, it could actually be useful to us (rather than what most people use it for, running Windows9x or Linux very slowly).