VOGONS

Reply 60 of 88, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Noticed some problems with the DAUM release and the new Genesis Project CGA demo...
http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=65292

SVN DOSBox seems to run it just fine (/w Machine=CGA and a low cycles count), but the 20150125 DAUM release seems to just output a black screen and a few continuous tones before exiting.

Eyecandy: Turn your computer into an expensive lava lamp.

Reply 61 of 88, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I wonder why he still does that. The makefile is easily enough modified to link static...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 62 of 88, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kolano wrote:

Noticed some problems with the DAUM release and the new Genesis Project CGA demo...

SVN DOSBox seems to run it just fine (/w Machine=CGA and a low cycles count), but the 20150125 DAUM release seems to just output a black screen and a few continuous tones before exiting.

DAUM is not alone, I could not get the sound to work properly with DOSBox SVN and the visuals do not work on real hardware. However it plays with the CGA may work in an emulated environment but causes the raster on a CGA monitor to go haywire.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 63 of 88, by Sammy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I use Dosbox Daum and it's great because i am able to install Win95C without any Errors. Great work!

But i have figured out one Problem:
The Desktop Resolution must be the same as the Resolution i select in the game.

(Both 640x480 or 800x600)
Tested with ColinMcRae V1.40

If Desktop is 800x600 and Game-setting is 640x480, or Desktop=640x480 and Game-seting=800x600, or Desktop=1024x768 and game-setting is 800x600: Then i only got a colorchanging Square in the upper right corner at the moment the race starts.
Menu and loading screens before are still right displayed.

Is this Problem known ?

Reply 64 of 88, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
Great Hierophant wrote:
kolano wrote:

DAUM is not alone, I could not get the sound to work properly with DOSBox SVN and the visuals do not work on real hardware. However it plays with the CGA may work in an emulated environment but causes the raster on a CGA monitor to go haywire.

Are you saying the music is working on real hardware? If so, that would be interesting because the music doesn't work in SVN due to what should be increased accuracy of PIC emulation compared to 0.74. The demo uses the RTC interrupt (IRQ 8) and only signals EOI on the slave PIC, but SVN requires signalling EOI on the master PIC as well.

Reply 65 of 88, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No, the music is a constant tone. It only works as shown on Youtube for 0.74 at 250 cycles and CGA machine type. What a brilliant job they did with the demo, they ensured it only works properly in an emulator version which has been greatly improved in SVNs.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 66 of 88, by NewRisingSun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here is a fixed version that signals End-of-Interrupt (EOI) to the master PIC as well. I removed the superfluous CLI and STI instructions from the Interrupt Service Routine (ISR) to make space for the additional OUT 20, AL. CLI and STI superfluous in an ISR because the x86 automatically disables interrupts upon entering an ISR, and restores them through the IRET instruction.

Attachments

• Filename
    GP-01FIX.zip
    File size
    63.86 KiB
    Downloads
    134 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 68 of 88, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I dunno' if it be appropriate for me to post here about this but when I try to run his last build on linux I get this:

"./dosbox: error while loading shared libraries: libtbb.so.2: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64"

What's really bizzare is... 20140127_32bit.7z the one I was using previously never complains about such mismatches with any other lib.

And for whatever reason beyond my comprehension if I try to install the multilib version of that library it ends up uninstalling a ton of "conflicts" in the process.

I'm using Linux Mint 17 64-bit. I guess should I try building this from source somehow?

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 69 of 88, by Teppic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have some trouble with the Daum build. I have the latest one posted Jan. 25. Some games gives me weird graphics where it only shows me the upper left part zoomed in of the game. Some games that give me this problem is Jazz Jackrabbit, Blues Brothers: Jukebox Adventure. I disabled all vesa modes settings for [dosbox] in the config, and it fixed the menu in Jazz Jackrabbit, but in game it looks like the picture I've attached to this post. I've tried many of the options in the config but couldn't figure out what is causing it.

Attachments

• Filename
    dosbox.conf
    File size
    75.38 KiB
    Downloads
    103 downloads
    File license
  • file0001_000.png
    Filename
    file0001_000.png
    File size
    7.05 KiB
    Views
    File license

My AdLib recordings

Reply 71 of 88, by Teppic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found out what is causing it. Setting doublescan=true will make it look normal in fullscreen. The downside is that windowed mode will look weird, this is not a huge deal for me.

However, I found another problem that I consider a huge deal. When I play Jazz Jackrabbit in the Daum build I can't get it to play smooth. In the regular DOSBox it will run smooth, but in the Daum build I get some stuttering at times. It kind of looks like framedrops. This is with the default config of the Daum build.

My AdLib recordings

Reply 72 of 88, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Teppic wrote:

When I play Jazz Jackrabbit in the Daum build I can't get it to play smooth.

This may depend on the version of release too, or other default settings. I've seen in one forum a guy who complained about speed problems in January 2015 versions, so he still prefers 2014-01-27. Versions from 2013 like 2013-05-06 and later are worth to try too.
I'd use 0.74 where there is no need in extended functional of new SVN and unofficial ports. The more things are added, the more possibility these things will ruin previous functional.

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Reply 74 of 88, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
kolano wrote:

This demo seems to run fine under DOSBox .74, but crashes the DAUM build 20150125...
http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=64874

That 256-byter demo is also broken in vanilla SVN. It was released in January of this year, and like some other recent DOS demos that I've noticed on Pouet, it was apparently developed and tested using only DOSBox 0.74. It's understandable to use DOSBox for the convenience factor, but it's potentially problematic for compatibility (with real DOS and with later versions of DOSBox), as we've seen with that GP-01 demo a few posts back.

The demo causes an FPU stack overflow, and SVN has added an error exit for that condition. I'm not sure if Daum has included the error exit, but you can check the status window to see what is reported there. However, even without the error exit, the demo is still broken in SVN.

The demo expects that text printed by the console device in graphics mode will use attribute 15, as DOSBox 0.74 does; but it has been fixed in SVN to use attribute 7, as real DOS does. As such, the demo shows a blank screen in SVN (also in 0.74 when booting real DOS). FYI, the change to the console device in SVN has fixed demos that rely on the attribute 7 behavior of DOS, such as http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=63299

Reply 75 of 88, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the analysis Ripsaw. And glad to hear of accuracy improvements in DOSBox.

My concern had been that it seemed to be crashing the Daum build, or at least causing it to immediately close down. Though perhaps there was an error output on the console before it shut down I didn't notice. I guess it might be nicer if things halted on this sort of error, but didn't immediately exit to give the user a chance to notice the error.

Reply 76 of 88, by fischkopf11

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Unfortunately there is something broken with the scaling in the current revisions... For instance in Jazz Jackrabbit, when you enter a level and it shows you the "planet" loading screen, then the whole screen is zoomed in and stays that way. Same thing in "Tetris Classic", once you enter the game. I think it has to do something with games that change to different resolutions on the fly. The last Revision where this problem didn't occur was 20140127.

Is there any chance it will be fixed?

Reply 77 of 88, by SedrynTyros

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
fischkopf11 wrote:

Unfortunately there is something broken with the scaling in the current revisions... For instance in Jazz Jackrabbit, when you enter a level and it shows you the "planet" loading screen, then the whole screen is zoomed in and stays that way. Same thing in "Tetris Classic", once you enter the game. I think it has to do something with games that change to different resolutions on the fly. The last Revision where this problem didn't occur was 20140127.

Is there any chance it will be fixed?

Yep, last two releases have broken scaling in OpenGL modes. I pointed this out to ykhwong immediately after each release but never got any response.

Reply 78 of 88, by jez

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,

I've gotten DOSBox Daum working. Does anyone know whether you can stop it spitting out tons of DOS_AllocateMemory and DOS_FreeMemory stuff to the Status Window? I tried setting all the [log] entries in the config file to "false" but the output to the Status Window still occurs.

== Jez ==

Reply 79 of 88, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Windows for Workgroups install seems to fail with the 20150125 DAUM release. It complains that read-only copies of files are in place when it starts to copy files, though the installation folder is empty.